Connecting Panasonic SC-BTT262EBK Home Cinema to TV & PVR

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by frogman23, Jan 8, 2012.

1. frogman23

frogman23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried searching the forum for help but can't find what I need - apologies if I'm missing the obvious.

I'm trying to help a friend connect his new Panasonic SC-BTT262EBK 2.1 home cinema system to his existing Humax FoxSat HD-R and Sony Bravia 32CX520 TV - we're both very inexperienced in the world of AV and aren't finding the manuals to be much help. Any advice as to the best way to connect everything would be much appreciated.

Replacing his old DVD player with the new Panasonic and connecting it to the TV's HDMI (ARC) socket with nothing else connected we are able to run the Panasonic setup program and then play a DVD, sound coming from the Panasonic's speakers. Without the Panasonic connected, we are able connect the Humax to the TV via an HDMI socket and watch TV as before, with sound coming from the TV's speakers. When we connect the Panasonic to the TV's HDMI (ARC) socket and the Humax to another of the TV's HDMI sockets, and run an optical cable from the Humax to the Panasonic, we seem to be unable to watch input from the Humax - and can't find any way to change the TV input setting.

The Humax has one HDMI output, as does the Panasonic (ARC). The Sony TV has one HDMI (ARC) input and another 3 (I think) HDMI inputs. There are also SCART connections but I presume we don't need or want them.

The Panasonic has digital audio in, the Humax has digital audio out as does, I believe, the Sony. We have an optical cable to hand.

1) Are we missing something obvious - perhaps we've connected it correctly but are just not pressing the right buttons? 2) Should we reverse the connections for Panasonic and Humax?

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    Home Cinema to TV (ARC) via HDMI

Humax to TV via HDMI

Humax to Home Cinema via optical

You will need to select the optical input on the home cinema remote. It might be called OPT, D-IN etc.

3. frogman23

frogman23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick response, Dave, we'll try that.

4. frogman23

frogman23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, we seem to have got everything working now - thanks again.