Connecting Panasonic DMR-EX773EB

winton

Standard Member
Reaction score
I apologise if this has been answered before but I can't find the answer matching my equipment.

The Panasonic DVD Recorder ("DVD") has Freeview and 2 Scart sockets. I also have a Pansasonic VCR ("VCR") with 2 Scart sockets and a Mitsubishi Analog TV with 2 Scart sockets.

I have tried several ways to connect them all. Currently, the roof aerial is feeding to DVD, then to VCR and then to TV. AV1 on TV is connected to AV1 on VCR. Finally, AV2 on VCR is connected to AV2 on DVD.

This set-up allows me to record and play videos on VCR and to transfer videos to DVD. The problem is only that, when I first switch it all on, I have to change the TV's channel using the AV selector button - if I don't, I get only snow.

Is there another way to set it up so that it automatically receives the Freeview signal on the TV?

Many thanks.

PS Is there a button for muting sound on the DVD remote? I am currently muting it by turning the volume all the way down to zero.

First of all if analogue has been switched off in your area you can simplify the connections slightly by plugging the aerial into the DVDR and then the RF Out from this to the Tv.
There is no need to have an aerial connection in or out of the VCR as it can only record analogue signals which will be switched off if your area has undergone DSO.
I would connect as follows...

VCR AV1 to DVDR AV2
DVDR AV1 to Tv AV1

Set the DVDR to output RGB and switch off any power saving options on it.
To record from the VCR to the DVDR select input A2 using the DVDRs remote.

It's not possible to mute the DVDR using it's remote, you would normally mute the Tv with it's own remote.
If you switch on your Tv followed by switching on the DVDR the Tv should now auto-switch to AV1.

Last edited:
Your solution, Jaycee, is the one proposed in the Panasonic manual which doesn't work for me or for others on this site. I disconnected the VCR/DVDR aerial as you suggested and then made the other connections. It does switch on correctly, as you thought it would, but it has these problems:
1. I can't operate the VCR in any way using the VCR remote - whereas with my connections I can use the remote to access the VCR menu, record Freeview TV on VCR (via DVDR), and (I hope) transfer videos to DVD.
2. When accessing the DVDR's HD or DVD disc functions, the TV screen has to reconfigure itself for a few seconds with lots of struggling wavy lines and noise interference - whereas with my connections it switches immediately OK
3. If I use the DVDR remote's input select to select DVD2, as you suggest, it automatically redirects to the TV's AV1.

Many thanks for your suggestions - it's back to the drawing board.
Richard

Your solution, Jaycee, is the one proposed in the Panasonic manual which doesn't work for me or for others on this site

I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems but this connection method does indeed work and that's why it's listed in the DVDRs user manual.

It isn't a "problem" as such...the only reason you see "snow" when you switch on your Tv is due to your ancient Mitsubishi having been designed like most of that generation to default to it's analogue tuner when first switched on...due to the DSO, analogue broadcasting has been switched off and the result is no signal which on an analogue Tv results in "snow" on the screen.
BTW, if you had a modern Panasonic Tv you wouldn't have this "problem" as most of them give you the option to have them default to their tuner or an AV input when first switched on.

I can't operate the VCR in any way using the VCR remote - whereas with my connections I can use the remote to access the VCR menu, record Freeview TV on VCR (via DVDR), and (I hope) transfer videos to DVD

Select AV1 on your TV using the TV remote, with the VCR switched on, select the A2 input on your DVDR using it's remote...now press menu on your VCR remote and you should see the VCRs menu.
Most Panasonic remotes come as dual function allowing you to control a Panasonic brand DVD with a Tv remote and vice-versa...some of them have an edge or bottom-mounted slide switch so make sure the switches are in the correct position on the DVD and VCR remotes.

When accessing the DVDR's HD or DVD disc functions, the TV screen has to reconfigure itself for a few seconds with lots of struggling wavy lines and noise interference - whereas with my connections it switches immediately OK

This is to be expected...most DVDRs take a while to "boot up" unfortunately.
You can always revert to the way you had it connected originally...after all it's no real "biggy" to have to press the TVs AV input button.

Last edited:
Also make sure that the DVDR's AV2 input is configured to accept Video or RGB/Video as the Default may be just RGB.

Functions - Others - Setup - Connection - AV2 Settings

and also make sure that Power Save is set to OFF.

Functions - Others - Setup - Others - Standby Settings - Power Save in Standby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your solution, Jaycee, is the one proposed in the Panasonic manual which doesn't work for me or for others on this site.

Jaycees suggestion is by far the best configuration method, but if it does not work, it is because of the second setting mentioned by Adrian in the previous post. (Power save setting must be OFF).

It is also important that you connect no other scarts for this to work cleanly.

I'd like some more advice, please, if possible. I still have the same equipment - Panasonic DVDR, Mistubishi analogue TV, Panasonic analogue VCR, each with 2 scarts, connected as detailed above in this thread. This means that all scarts are in use.

I'd now like to connect a set top freeview box (STFB) so that I can record on the DVDR's tuner while watching a different channel on the STFB's freeview tuner.

Is this possible (John Lewis told me it defintely wasn't - for a moment I think I did achieve it somehow yesterday but today can't repeat it!)? And, if it is possible, how do I connect them all together? I am willing to sacrifice the VCR if necessary.

Many thanks to all you clever and helpful people.

I'd like some more advice, please, if possible. I still have the same equipment - Panasonic DVDR, Mistubishi analogue TV, Panasonic analogue VCR, each with 2 scarts, connected as detailed above in this thread. This means that all scarts are in use.
Can you clarify exactly please, because according to my reckoning all scarts should not be in use.

You say the devices are connected as detailed in the thread, but there are at least a couple of methods of connection described above.

Can you clarify exactly please, because according to my reckoning all scarts should not be in use.

You say the devices are connected as detailed in the thread, but there are at least a couple of methods of connection described above.

I did have all the Scarts in use but I've fiddled around so much now that I can't remember what connections I had and so I'm back to my connections at the top of this post (except that the roof aerial now goes only to the DVDR and from there to the TV - the VCR does not have an aerial connection). In summary, AV1 on TV is connected to AV1 on VCR, and AV2 on VCR is connected to AV2 on DVD. This means that the VCR Menu button works, for example, though i have no idea why.

I tried Jaycee's connections and they worked, of course, but not as well as mine - I would get a crescendo of audio and video interference at times when switching "Inputs" - or was it using the VCR Menu?

This means that there are indeed open Scarts - at AV2 on the TV and AV1 on the DVDR.

One thing I really don't understand is the interplay between Input Select on the DVDR (and VCR) and the AV button on the TV. I spend hours cycling between all these choices.

I also don't understand the AV setup I can make on the TV.

I think probably I'll have to forget watching one channel and recording another if it gets any more complex. If I have to buy one more piece of kit, what should it be to make these connections simpler?

Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom