connecting ones beloved 360 to the internet via PC?

Benny06

Had my xbox for just under a week, and a love it to bits, given me hours of joy so far. I would like to expand this experience onto the internet via xbox live. My router is however downstairs and too far out of reach for the cable supplied, so i am waiting on getting the wireless adaptor if this is necesary along with xbox live gold.

However my questions is:

is it possible to conect the xbox 360 to the internet via the ethernet of my PC, and simply pass the conection on to it. Ive plugged the cable in at either end and it has sure enough picked up my computer. Im waiting on a friend to drop round service pack 2 as i have xp bundled with sp1.

Where do i go from here? Is it possible, is it easy? do i need to have my xbox live account first?

a step by step idiots guide would be mega helpful!

Thanks in advance guys

Benny.

Benny06

t's by far the cheaper method but can also be the most troublesome. It also requires you to have your PC on when you want to use Xbox live. A network card for your PC to provide the link to your Xbox will cost your about £6

what sort of network card, obviousley i have a wireless one, i thought it was capable by ethernet?

My LAN connections enabled when i turn the 360 on if this helps.

ShadowmanUK

Novice Member
Any 10/100 ethernet card bud. Your wireless one is no good for this as you need a port to plug into.

If your PC is a fairly new it might have one in already. Just look in your Network Connections under Control Panel.

All your Local Area Connections are listed there.

Benny06

its a gigabyte DS3 so its fairley new, it has a ethernet next to the usb like most modern motherboards right? which is what im using....

do i need to wait to get service pack 2 installed?

ShadowmanUK

Novice Member
So is your PC connected to your router via wireless?

If so.. you dont need ICS anyway, just bridge the connections, I have a guide for that on my site also

Benny06

success, i bridged teh conections perfectly. It just cant find any media pc's or xp with sp2, because mine isnt media, and doesnt have service pack to on it yet. After that it should work ye?

'On test xbox live connection' its failed the DNS, i have a free 48 hour trial thanks to fifa 07 and with the premium package dont you get a moth free?

AudioSlim

Find the IP of your ISP's DNS and add it manually to the xbox. Either that or make sure DNS relay is turned on in your router.

Slim

Benny06

Ive enetered my DNS manually into the xbox, but its still failing...

silly me, twas my firewall, hope this thread can help somebody else.

thanks for all you help guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom