Connecting old video player to modern tv? Scart to hdmi?

Pollywoggle

We have digitised most of our old family videos and have them on USB stick for a very occasional viewing
Not all of them though and we have kept our old vhs recorder to play the rest…we kept our 2014 Samsung TV as it had scart input but it’s taking up a lot of space in the garage.
My 2018 Samsung Tv is fine for most things but doesn’t have scart input.

Can you get simple a scart to hdmi converter that will link vhs video player and my tv which needs hdmi?
Quality doesn’t have to be brilliant but I’m confused by the options?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A couple of factors at play which will guide you to the correct format converter.

Is the Source device SCART socket outputting Composite Video or RGB - RGB is better but not all devices equipped with a SCART socket support it.

Do the HDMI Input(s) on your TV or AVR support a 576i50 signal? If yes a simple 'Converter' is all you require. If not you will require a Converter which will also up-convert to whatever format your HDMI Input(s) support (576p50, 720p50, 1080i50...).

If your AVR offers Composite video to HDMI conversion or Component Video to HDMI conversion it would be simple enough to convert the SCART Output of the Source to either of those formats (SCART RGB to YUV being preferable) and allow the AVR to do the up-conversion for you.

Joe

Pollywoggle

A couple of factors at play which will guide you to the correct format converter.

Is the Source device SCART socket outputting Composite Video or RGB - RGB is better but not all devices equipped with a SCART socket support it.

Do the HDMI Input(s) on your TV or AVR support a 576i50 signal? If yes a simple 'Converter' is all you require. If not you will require a Converter which will also up-convert to whatever format your HDMI Input(s) support (576p50, 720p50, 1080i50...).

If your AVR offers Composite video to HDMI conversion or Component Video to HDMI conversion it would be simple enough to convert the SCART Output of the Source to either of those formats (SCART RGB to YUV being preferable) and allow the AVR to do the up-conversion for you.

Joe
Thanks very much for this detailed response Joe, I will look into what is capable of what👍

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom