Answered Connecting Old DVD Recorder

rogdodge

I have an old Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVD recorder 80GB that works fine, but I am about to buy a new TV that does not have a SCART connection.

Could anyone advise whether it is possible to make a connection between the DVD SCART and either the TV's HDMI or Component In connections to view my old videos?

Any pointers to adaptors would be appreciated.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Most modern TV's have done away with scart sockets but some supply an adaptor lead often with 3 RCA phono sockets coloured yellow red & white for composite video/audio input.
Simply get a switched scart to phono adaptor and plug it into the AV1 scart output of your DVDR (with the switch on it set to "out") and connect a 3 phono to 3 phono lead to the TV's adaptor lead...if no lead is supplied there are usually component/composite sockets on the rear or side panel...one of the component inputs usually doubles as a video input (usually marked as "y"). I have yet to come across a modern Tv without either of these connections.

Gavtech

Administrator
New TV's without scarts still often have an adaption system for connecting a scart source, so check for that ... but in any case , yes you can connect using component. The EH50 has components outputs available.

If using component , turn on the progressive setting. ( See page 6 and 16 of the DVDR manual)
( Note - those page numbers refer refer to the UK manual - It may be different for your location.)

(Cross posted with JayCee)

rogdodge

Thank you, @JayCee and @Gavtech,

I have downloaded a manual for the TV I am interested in. Apparently this TV has a Component Input socket into which a Component Gender cable can be inserted with 3 leads that connect (with adaptor leads) to the Y Pb Pr sockets on the DVD player. I will need to physically check now that I have a better idea of what is possible. :)

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Just a note that component video is video only - no audio. You'll need a further two connections (a stereo pair) for audio L & R.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom