1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Nokia Freeview to Panny PT-AE100

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Dean, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I know the panny has component, s-video and composite video - I plan to connect the DVD player using S-video (as it has no component), but what is the best way to connect the Nokia freeview? In the set up menu the Nokia can output RGB or composite. Will a scart to phono lead do?

2. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for RGB via a reasonable quality scart lead.

Regards,
    Andy.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Retailer? Do you always listen to your customer's needs this well.

Anyway. Dean, the Panny won't accept an RGB signal so you can either get a scart-phono lead which will give you composite video (OK but not brilliant). The other option is to get a converter to convert your RGB signal to Svideo or component. Try http://www.js-technology.com/ for some good ideas.

4. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Cheers for that :smashin: I think I have one of those scart connectors with composite and stereo phono's (yellow, white, red) so if I put this connector on my nokia scart, I presumably can then just run a phono lead to the composite output of my AE100. I don't mind losing a little quality for TV and it should be ok.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yup, not sure if it has to be a dedicated video lead. You might want to check that first.

6. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try another post before drinking too much this time:zonked:

The scart adpater will work fine, just remember they are directional and you need an 'out' one or a switchable one set to 'out'. As already suggested use the yellow socket with a video grade phono lead (75 ohm coax cable).

Regards,
    Andy.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Dean

'Loose a little quality' - understatement of the week :) if your in any way serious about running Off-Air images on your projector at least add a JS Technology RGB2S-Video converter and a decent S-Video cable (VanDamme); it'll cost you about £95.00 for the Converter plus a 10m cable but make a huge difference to the image quality you project onto your screen.

Best regards

Joe

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Yep I agree with that - will get the JS converter when I get the funds as just bought the panny unexpectedly for a second system. At the moment just using a quality QED PS-W sub interconnect and its watchable but lacks that colourful and brighter images RGB deliver. Cheers guys :smashin:

9. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Dean,
    You could always replace the nokia with a Netgem i-player. These supply a component video signal thru the scart socket. Makro have these for sale at £50 + VAT and they have in many peoples opinion the best picture quality. I have two of these, and one connected to my Plasma via Component. I've tried all the freeview boxes, and it leaves the rest for dead...

Maybe something to think about?

Cheers, Lee

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    By some sort of fluke my old Nokai ondigital was one of the few scart devices that the Panasonic AE100 would accept via a scart rgb to vga cable. I can't remember if I connected the composite sync to the AE100's horizontal or vertical sync but one of them worked. I then found out that the Nokia outputs sync on green I believe as well as seperate sync. This output is right at the base line of what the AE100 will accept frequency wise so it may or may not work for you. It doesn't work with ntsc sources via scart rgb thats for sure but does work with some pal sources. I had a Compacks DVD5000 and it had progressive output via scart rgb. I could toggle between interlace and progressive via the remoate and the AE100 would work directly with an interlace image via vga if it was pal from this player.

The easy option though is to get a netgem freeview box with component outputs though. Meant to give an immaculate image via an AE100.