Connecting No ARCHDMI TV and SoundBar

Lorenzo Bussoletti

Novice Member
Hi guys. I am about to receive a Samsung HW-Q800A SoundBar but have no ARCHDMI on the TV. Could you tell me if one of the below setups would work - I only watch apple tv (netflix etc) content

1. Apple TV -> HW-Q800A -> Philips TV HDMI IN
2. Apple TV -> Philips TV HDMI IN & HW-Q800A -> Philips TV HDMI IN

Thank you all for the support!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
What TV is it? Most modernish TVs will support ARC, if not then the optical output can be used but if it's a really old TV then the format support from optical may be quite restrictive. Get us a model number and you should get more accurate results.

Lorenzo Bussoletti

Novice Member
What TV is it? Most modernish TVs will support ARC, if not then the optical output can be used but if it's a really old TV then the format support from optical may be quite restrictive. Get us a model number and you should get more accurate results.
Thank you for your reply! The tv is philips-55put600256. As mentioned in the post, everything I watch is via the Apple TV

It does not have an optical output unfortunately

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Connect the Source (Apple TV) HDMI to the Soundbar and then the Soundbar HDMI Output to the TV - that way ARC is irrelevant.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Immersive Audio (Atmos) relies on many factors - including the shape, construction and height of your ceiling, the positioning of the Soundbar, your seating layout, the source device capabilities and the content you are viewing (in your case streaming via the ATV).

With the required subscriptions and streaming device (you will need the ATV 4K + the highest level of Netflix subscription) some streams will deliver content with Atmos encoded into the content, with 'non-Atmos' content or devices not capable of supporting Atmos (your ATV) you will have the option to enable the 'up mixer' on the Soundbar to 'create' height channels from any stereo or 5.1 source content.

Joe

Lorenzo Bussoletti

Novice Member
Immersive Audio (Atmos) relies on many factors - including the shape, construction and height of your ceiling, the positioning of the Soundbar, your seating layout, the source device capabilities and the content you are viewing (in your case streaming via the ATV).

With the required subscriptions and streaming device (you will need the ATV 4K + the highest level of Netflix subscription) some streams will deliver content with Atmos encoded into the content, with 'non-Atmos' content or devices not capable of supporting Atmos (your ATV) you will have the option to enable the 'up mixer' on the Soundbar to 'create' height channels from any stereo or 5.1 source content.

Joe
Thank you Joe
What I meant is, will my sound be penalized in terms of sound quality and sound features (Dolby digital and Dolby Atmos) because I have an old TV or will it be fine as the Apple TV is the one connected to the soundbar

Thank you!

gibbsy

Providing your sources are connected directly to the soundbar and then connected to the TV you will be able to use all of the facilities of the soundbar. That includes Atmos from the correct ATV subscription.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As gibbsy says the TV capabilities (or lack of) play no part in the audio playback when the Source (ATV) is connected to the Soundbar - you do still have to note my notes around the type of streams you are playing, the capabilities of the Source device and the positioning of your Soundbar.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom