Connecting NAS to Samsung Blu Ray Media Player

nico66

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, i was looking at buying a NAS server to connect to my network so i can stream files from it to my pc upstairs instead of using the HDD on my pc but also i have a Samsung Blu-Ray Media Centre connected to the network downstairs. I want to know if i can access the NAS server through the DVD Player? I can access my Shared Folders on my PC but it means moving everything into the Shared Folder on Windows which i don't want to do! I don't want to buy a NAS server if this isn't going to be possible as i want my setup to be able to be accessed everywhere.

I'm not really that clued up on NAS servers so any help would be appreciated!

Does the Samsung BD player have a DLNA client ?

Install Serviio or Twonky on your PC, add a bunch of folders to it so it scans them then check the BD player and see if they play. If it's a more modern Samsung SmartTV BD player you can get Plex from the app store and use that instead of DLNA (install Plex media server on PC), it gives you a much more fancy GUI than DLNA.

Any basic NAS will do for DLNA (e.g. Western Digital My Book Live), though keep in mind that unlike the PC the NAS cannot convert incompatible video in real time so you are reliant on native playback of the BD player, Samsung players tend to be okay so you might not run into too many problems.

If the BD supports Plex and you want to run that there are only a select few that support Plex.

I noticed on the App store on Samsung Blu-Ray player it had Plex, so i installed this and then installed Plex on my PC. The only issue i was having is that you can only add a Main folder i.e C:\Downloads and i have folders including games etc in this folder so it decided to add everything in that folder. I am wanting to really have something where i can store all my stuff onto rather than my PC HDD and then access it on Blu-Ray Setup and PC. Anything anyone can think of? My Samsung Blu-Ray is the: Samsung HT-C5530 Blu-Ray Home Cinema System. I'm running Windows 7 32bit

In the Plex media manager click on the left hand side where it lists photos/tv shows/movies to select one of them, then click the cog icon in the bottom left hand corner and select edit section then click on add. From there you should be able to add any folder, sub folder and manually copy/paste any path into it.

If wanting to use the Plex server it only runs on off the shelf x86 NAS from QNAP, Synology and Netgear. Netgear are the cheapest as QNAP/Synology only use x86 Intel platforms in their higher end product line costing around £500+. The Netgear Readynas Ultra 2 is x86 based and can be gotten for £184 on Amazon.

There is an experimental build of Plex server for Arm which is the platform used in the vast majority of off the shelf and cheaper NAS however it's not ready for general usage yet. If hoping for Arm/Plex on a NAS one like a DS212j might be good enough if a Plex server is released (you may see it in Synology app center but this is for x86 NAS), it does come with a DLNA server built in so you can always use that.

OK i will try doing the steps you have specified at the start of your post. I work for a computer distribution company and we sell the D-Link DNS-320 ShareCenter Pulse, however i don't know if it will be picked up by my Samsung HT-C5530 Blu-Ray System. In an ideal world i'd like to simply have the NAS server connected to the Router and store all my media on it, then access the NAS on my PC and on my Samsung Blu-Ray. Didn't really want it to be too complicated lol.

Well thats only if you want to run Plex which does complicate things a bit.

If you want to see what it's like running from a NAS just download Twonky and install on your PC, Twonky is used on the vast majority of NAS sold. Although I believe the D-Link DNS-320 is an exception to that & has some in-house UPnP server running on it but that may work with it.

Just call up the samsung media player and you can access Twonky.

Ok guys so here's where I am at:
Setup a D-Link DNS-320 NAS server
Ethernet into router connected with PC and Samsung Blu ray DVD media player

I can see my NAS on my pc fine but my Samsung DVD player doesn't. I press the red button which chooses devices and it picks up my pc that's upstairs but not getting my NAS server?! Please help me! :(

All sorted! Just had to enable uPnP and works a dream! :)

Ok guys something's happened! Everything was working fine on my DVD player to my NAS server could access it all. But today I did a firmware update on my NAS server, and I also set up a shared folder for family but denied access to my other folders. Since then I can see the NAS server on my Samsung blu ray player but when inside the folder for say films or music etc it has no files/folders!! Please help? Is it something I have done.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom