Connecting my Wii to my amp, and then amp to TV via component?

PAUL7331

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im struggling here! I originally had my Wii connected to the back of my Panny Tv via component cable. No probs there. Ive since purchased and amp and surround sound speakers, so want to play my wii through this. On the back of my amp I have what seems like 2 sets of Component inputs. I have connected my Wii up to the amp (using official wii component cable) and then tried connecting the amp to my TV using another component cable....I cant get NO picture or sound! What am I doing wrong?:lease:

hi

what Amp do you have.....?

some have on screen menus that need setting 1st.

Matty :thumbsup:

OK.

Make sure you have the Wii connected to 'Component Video 1' and the TV connected to 'Monitor Out' (to the right of the two component video inputs)

Go into the 'INPUT SETUP' menu on your unit and choose the input that you have used for the audio part of the Wii Cable. There is then an option for 'COMPONENT VIDEO' - set that to 'COMP V 1' and you should be good to go.

Note that the AVR145 will not display the menus on the screen when using the component video output - you will need to still have a composite or s-video lead connected to your display.

Steve

OK.

Make sure you have the Wii connected to 'Component Video 1' and the TV connected to 'Monitor Out' (to the right of the two component video inputs)

Go into the 'INPUT SETUP' menu on your unit and choose the input that you have used for the audio part of the Wii Cable. There is then an option for 'COMPONENT VIDEO' - set that to 'COMP V 1' and you should be good to go.

Note that the AVR145 will not display the menus on the screen when using the component video output - you will need to still have a composite or s-video lead connected to your display.

Steve

Cheers Steve, I'll have to give this a go tonight when I get home. So will I have to use the ON SCREEN DISPLAY to do this with my 145, or can I just use the buttons on the front of my amp? I would prefer this as I keep having to unplug my subwoofer lead and use that to act as a composite cable to get the on screen display!

You should be fine using the buttons. On most amplifiers, the OSD is a convenience rather than a necessity.

Steve

You should be fine using the buttons. On most amplifiers, the OSD is a convenience rather than a necessity.

Steve

Right then mate, I'll give it a go later, cheers.

It worked! Thankgs guys. SMG sounds much better with a bit of surround sound pumping out!:thumbsup:

Hey chaps - think I have pretty much the same issue here?

I have just got a Wii and the only connector I have is a composite output cable that I got with it. I connect this to my Pioneer 508XD on "input 5" (specifically for games, I think) which gives me picture OK, but no sound, unsurprisingly, because I'm using my Pio as a screen only (no speakers on it).

My DVD and V+ box are connected to screen via HDMI, and audio-wise to my Arcam AVR300 vis digital audio coax/optical respectively. The amp outputs sound to my 5.1 setup.

Do I need to get a Wii component output cable and connect to my amp as described, and link picture to my screen (from amp) with a normal component cable for surround sound? Could use input 2 (component) on Pio for this OK - plenty of outputs on amp for this.

Other option seems to be connect audio of Wii cable (red/white) to amp for sound, and yellow (S video) to screen for picture. Awkward, cos the cable is a "3 stuck together" type and the amp and screen are about 1/5m apart!! Could extend the S-vdeo using a connector, I suppose...

Any component cable advice welcomed, the kids are getting fed up of the Wii with no sound!!

Thanks,

Phill

Hey chaps - think I have pretty much the same issue here?

I have just got a Wii and the only connector I have is a composite output cable that I got with it. I connect this to my Pioneer 508XD on "input 5" (specifically for games, I think) which gives me picture OK, but no sound, unsurprisingly, because I'm using my Pio as a screen only (no speakers on it).

My DVD and V+ box are connected to screen via HDMI, and audio-wise to my Arcam AVR300 vis digital audio coax/optical respectively. The amp outputs sound to my 5.1 setup.

Do I need to get a Wii component output cable and connect to my amp as described, and link picture to my screen (from amp) with a normal component cable for surround sound? Could use input 2 (component) on Pio for this OK - plenty of outputs on amp for this.

Other option seems to be connect audio of Wii cable (red/white) to amp for sound, and yellow (S video) to screen for picture. Awkward, cos the cable is a "3 stuck together" type and the amp and screen are about 1/5m apart!! Could extend the S-vdeo using a connector, I suppose...

Any component cable advice welcomed, the kids are getting fed up of the Wii with no sound!!

Thanks,

Phill

You don't need a component cable as you can just plug the standard red and white leads into your amp and extend the yellow Composite connector to the TV.

However, Component leads will give you a better pic on the TV so best to get the component lead and extend the read and white leads back to the amp instead. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom