Connecting My Technics Hi-Fi to my new Phillips LCD TV using the red and white cables

pali.cheema

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi ALL,

Can anyone help, i'm new to all of this.

I've just purchased a Phillips LCD 32PFL5522D TV, i am trying to connect my Technics HI-FI to it using the red and white audio cables(think they are called Phono cables), so it goes straight from the HI-FI to the TV but its not working!! i get no sound!

When i connect the HI-FI straight to my virgin media V+ box or my DVD player it works!! i get sound through my HI-FI!
its just a pain having to switch the leads from the V+ box to my DVD player.

Can my HI-FI be connected directly to my TV so i dont have to keep on switching from DVD to V+??
Would it be worth buying some better phono leads?

:lease:Please help

Thanks in Advance

Not familiar with this tv, but essentially you need to get sound from both sources to the TV first and then you can have one connection from the TV to your hi fi.......how are you currently connecting the virgin box and dvd to the TV?

yeah it can be connected, just make sure there outputs and not inputs..

How do i check that mate?
All i did was connect the phono leads from the back of my HI-FI to the connections on the side of the TV.

Not familiar with this tv, but essentially you need to get sound from both sources to the TV first and then you can have one connection from the TV to your hi fi.......how are you currently connecting the virgin box and dvd to the TV?

The virgin box is connected via a HDMI lead and the DVD player is connected Via a S-Video lead.
Then just have the phono leads from HI-Fi to either DVD player or virgin box!!

If you've connected the red and white phonos to the red and white phonos on the side of the TV that won't work - they're inputs, not outputs.

You could use the headphone out socket via a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 x phonos, or possibly use a Scart out to phono lead - but I'm not sure whether the Scart just outputs the TVs receiver or the currently selected source.

regards

Brian

you should get sound for the V+ box as HDMI will carry sound and video.

For DVD s-video doesn't carry sound from your DVD to the TV...you would also need to use either the red / white phono leads from dvd to tv or optical / digital audio out depending on what your dvd player has......or at least you use scart which will carry sound and video. Then as long as are using teh outputs and not inputs as suggested above you get sound from either source through your hi fi by just changing inputs on your tv.

If you've connected the red and white phonos to the red and white phonos on the side of the TV that won't work - they're inputs, not outputs.

You could use the headphone out socket via a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 x phonos, or possibly use a Scart out to phono lead - but I'm not sure whether the Scart just outputs the TVs receiver or the currently selected source.

regards

Brian
So i need a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 x phonos lead connected straight from the HI-FI th the TV?
will that do anything to the sound quality or does it depend on the quality of the lead i use?

Thanks for you help

you should get sound for the V+ box as HDMI will carry sound and video.

For DVD s-video doesn't carry sound from your DVD to the TV...you would also need to use either the red / white phono leads from dvd to tv or optical / digital audio out depending on what your dvd player has......or at least you use scart which will carry sound and video. Then as long as are using teh outputs and not inputs as suggested above you get sound from either source through your hi fi by just changing inputs on your tv.
Yeah at the moment i'm using a red/white phono lead to get sound from my V+ and DVD palyer through my HI-FI. I want to get it my HI-FI link directly to my TV so i dont have to keep changing my phono leads from V+ to DVD player.

And is the S-Video lead better than using a scart lead on the DVD player?

Thanks for your help

Yeah at the moment i'm using a red/white phono lead to get sound from my V+ and DVD palyer through my HI-FI. I want to get it my HI-FI link directly to my TV so i dont have to keep changing my phono leads from V+ to DVD player.

And is the S-Video lead better than using a scart lead on the DVD player?

Thanks for your help

:) I know what you are trying to do....and as I say if you want to have just one set of cables to the hifi you have to get sound from both V+ and DVD into the telly first.

Scart should be better than s-video, and component (red, green, blue) should be better than scart

:) I know what you are trying to do....and as I say if you want to have just one set of cables to the hifi you have to get sound from both V+ and DVD into the telly first.

Scart should be better than s-video, and component (red, green, blue) should be better than scart
How do i do that?
I'm a bit new to this kind of stuff :)

Oh and my HI-FI is a TECHNICS SC-EH750 Hi-Fi System, if that helps.

cheers

I used to have one of these systems and I recall that it doesn't have any digital inputs, all it had connection wise was an aux port, a 6ch input, a sub out and a VCR in/out so it isn't actually possible to connect this directly to your TV. You could go the 6 channel route for your DVD player if it as the 6ch output and use the aux to connect to your Virgin media set top.

Ideally you could do with something like this which is a steal at that price and it would cater for all your needs and the Technics seperates could just be for music.

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=4528

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom