connecting my speakers to my amp

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by stumpy77, Mar 17, 2006.

1. stumpy77

stumpy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi I have a setup of the speaker system with Mission fs1av . I was wondering if I could wire my speakers directly to my Sony str-dbe925 AV amp instead of connecting them to the sub which is the standard setup for this kit then thru to the amp on the multicore cable provided to each speaker terminal on the back of the amp. Is the sub powering the speakers or does it merely provide an easy way to setup the speakers and ack solely as a connector.

I am after this info as the supplied cables with the kit are no longer the same lengths so many of the lengths only have the 1 plug attached with the other end bare wire. This can easily be connected to the amp without the need for the moulded plugs.

I could then simply buy a seperate cable to connect my sub to the amp.

Will this other method have and benifits or drawbacks to the normal connecting procedure.

I posed the above question to mission and they said I could wire directly to the amp but I would still reqiure the multicore to the amp. Why is this do you think. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd imagine the Sony's amplification module will be a tad better than the sub's too. The spec sheet on Mission's website indicates that the 'sound panels' can be run from any separate amplifier.

Paul. :)

<edit> Oh, meant to ask does the sub have high-level and low-level connections? The amp should have a subwoofer out so you ought to be able to run a double/triple screened coax to it...

3. stumpy77

stumpy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your reply my amp is the sony str db925 as in the link below. I am a complete novice when it comes to setting it up so I not sure of your question . I know there is a sub woofer connection on the back and numerous speaker terminals. What are high and low level connections on the sub .the connection on the back is like a phono connection if im correct does this help.

Thanks again paulflowe :thumbsup:

4. stumpy77

stumpy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You ought to be able to run speaker wires from the back of the AV amp to each speaker, then run a coaxial (phono) cable to the subwoofer.

Have a look at this (if not already done) : http://www.mission.co.uk/pigs/loudspeaker_pig_fs1.pdf

Main thing that is of issue for me is the gap between where the 'subwoofer' response stops (approx 180Hz) and where the satellites start (265Hz) but try it and let us know the resultant sound.

Paul. :hiya: