• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting my receiver to TV

jplg842

Standard Member
Hello. I want to connect my satellite receiver to my new Sony 40" W550 Bravia

I attached pictures of the back of my receiver and my TV's plugs

Whats the best way to connect? can i do it over VGA? if i can how will i connect audio (will the single plug next to vga give me quality sound on my tv?)
Or can i do it scart out/component in? does it make sense?

and what is that black plug next to the composite plugs on the receiver?

One more question! should i connect my laptop mini dvi/VGA? or mini dvi/ HDMI?

Thank you! i really appreciate the help!

Attachments

• 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 35

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
You can't use VGA because your satellite box doesn't produce a VGA output (no sat receivers support VGA).
SCART outputs can supply composite video (CVBS), RGB, audio L/R out and S-Video but you need to check which of the 2 SCARTs suports which modes.
The black RCA socket marked 0/12V can produce 12 volts DC to power an external device or acccessory.
Your laptop PC could be connected via either DVI or VGA; either should work. If you have a spare lead of the type just try it.
The tricky question is how to connect your satellite box because there doesn't appear to be an RGB input on the TV - which surprises me. The normal connection would be SCART to SCART using RGB but I see no SCART socket on the TV.
Is this a non European TV model ?

jplg842

Standard Member
Thank you for the reply :)
The TV is an asian model! Scart really got me confused. should i just got with scart/S-video? it seems like my only option

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom