Connecting my raspberry pi to the internet in another room

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Giraffe76, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Giraffe76

Giraffe76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

I have a raspberry pi that i want to connect to the internet from my bedroom without using wifi so what is going to be the best way of doing this please?

Kind regards Mark

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    If Wi-Fi is a no-go, then you'll need (wired) ethernet. If you cannot run an ethernet cable from the Pi to the rest of your network, then there is a technology called HomePlug (AKA Powerline) the conveys data over the domestic mains electricity circuit.

There's an FAQ about HomePlugs pinned in this forum, but briefly you'd need two HP's, plug one in to a mains socket near your router and connect HP to router with an ethernet cable (check your router has a spare LAN port) and plug a second HP into a mains socket near the Pi and likewise connect Pi to plug with another ethernet cable. It would also be worth checking whether Pi has an ethernet network interface, if not you would need to acquire one.

HomePlugs are often sold as starter "kit" which include two plugs, one of which often includes a Wi-Fi Access Point if you would like an additional Wi-Fi hotspot in the remote locale.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018