Connecting my phone&old phone

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Giraffe76, May 9, 2018.

1. Giraffe76

Giraffe76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

I was wondering if there was anyway that somebody knew of connecting my android xiamoi redmi note 4 phone to my tv that's about 8 years old.

The tv doesn't have Bluetooth but does have HDMI,scart&coaxal cable ports.

I have seen the USB to HDMI leads for sale online but because it's 2 different types of cables i was unsure a) whether they would work properly and b) how long they would last

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Kind regards Mark

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,536
    The type that just changes the plug for a phone outputting HDMI over it's USB Port requires to phone to do that. MHL being the most common one for MicroUSB ports. That phone doesn't appear to support it, so unless you can find information in the manual/specs about it supporting that sort of thing then it's off the table.

There is some support for the type that's a standard USB device that works with software on the phone to output a video signal, although the software is provided by the manufacturer of those adapters rather than google or the phone manufacturer so there do seem to be some caveats (e.g. Android).

The first is just a cable so it'll last forever, the second is just a normal electronic device of a chip on a circuit board so it'll last as long as anything else.

The most popular methods these days for phones are wireless and involve buying a receiver for the TV which plugs into an HDMI port. The most popular two being Miracast and Googlecast (often known by the name of the device, Chromecast). Miracast is built into most modern computing devices, and of course any phone using google android support's google's protocol.

3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +913
    Do you have a home network? If so there are wifi dongles with hdmi outputs as previously mentioned but there is also those android tv boxs also erronously called kodi box which will make any hdmi tv as smart as any top of the line one. Anything and any service you have on your phone can be replicated. If you have purchased apps on your phone then by signing on with the same playstore account you can download them again onto the box. For free . Think of it as an android smartphone without a microphone but using the tv as a screen and loudspeaker and with a more clumsy keyboard.