1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting my pc to sammy

Discussion in 'TVs' started by philoz, Sep 28, 2005.

1. philoz

philoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there hope this is in the right forum.
    I have just got asammy le26r41b. I want to connect my p.c. to it to watch some hdtv trailers. My video card is a nVida geforce fx 5200 256mb with tv out and dvi.
    I am very new to all this and havnt got a clue what i need to connect them together. Will they just plug and play or is there a bit of playing to get it to work.

Another question has anybody used download shield for movies they seem to have a few hd titles and say they are legal?

thanks
    Phil

2. Unreal_Legend

Unreal_Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello, im looking for answers to this exact question too.

Can anyone help?

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I'm not even going to begin to try and explain all the ins and outs and hiccups you can experience when trying to get a PC hooked up to a HD display :)

In principle it's simple.
    Connect the DVI on the graphics card to the DVI on the LCD.
    Check that the PC is set to display a resolution that the LCD can accept and you are in business. Of course depending upon the graphics card software things may not be that simple:)

Nvidia software allows you to set up a secondary display which would be the LCD and have an independent spec compared to your primary PC display you can then choose to clone the primary display or use treat it seperate.
    After all that it's just a case of tweaking your system and reading plenty of help files and well a little prayer never does any harm:)

4. Unreal_Legend

Unreal_Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Excellent cheers. Ive just ordered a HDMI - DVI cable. :)

One thing though, with the audio connector.

Does the Samsung come with an audio cable, or will I need to purchase my own?

If so, what one?

5. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    I've just done this type of testing over the last couple of days with my LE32R41 Sammy.

I've connected my PC with DVI/HDMI & with VGA to the TV and the best result for PC connection is the VGA connector if your not needing to have your PC also connected to a standard monitor at the same time.
    If you want a dual connection then you have to have the PC connected to TV via DVI/HDMI.

With a direct VGA connection my graphics card instantly recognised the Sammy on set resolution to 1360x768 i.i the native resolution of the Sammy. This was pristine and as good as any normal LCD monitor connected to a PC.

When connecting via DVI/HMDI the PC recognises the Sammy as I high deffinition TV and gives me option to set it as 720p 1080i or 1080P. You set to 720p and the Sammy then scales the 768 display to 720 so you don't get native resolution of the Sammy.

For Media Centre type playback & DVD/Movie type playback you don't notice but if you r using for general PC usage i.e browsing etc. the screen is not in native resolution so does not look as clear.

6. Unreal_Legend

Unreal_Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What VGA cable do you use?

Im not getting the HDMI anyore, where did you get your VGA cable?

7. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Its a VGA with a male connector on each end i.e. pins. I borrowed it from our IT department together with a 3.5mm stereo phono you will need for the sound (need 3.5mm on each end).

I bought my HDMI/DVI cable from Cable Universe and would get the VGA & Auddio lead from them also.

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/

Audio: http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=128_27&products_id=1125

They do longer ones.

VGA: http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103&products_id=577

Again, they do longer ones

Just for full detail, find below the leads you need for connecting DVI-HDMI & Audio. Again they do longer cables if needed:

DVI/HDMI cable
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/cata...id=959&zenid=a84e5242c4571cb24fbd77e5d10b1433

The Audio lead needed:
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_27&products_id=310

8. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I must admit the the best way to connect this TV to a PC is via the VGA/Dsub connection

But if you want to go the HDMI route and have an Nvidia card make sure you use the new 81.84 drivers which have enhancements for getting around the overscan scan and other HD LCD issues

9. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Cheers. I'll look into the 81.84 drivers as I intend to keep my monitor via VGA and Sammy via HDMI/DVI until the PS3 comes out anyway.

10. Unreal_Legend

Unreal_Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well thats answered every single one of my questions, cheers! Ive ordered from the site. Thanks

11. Unreal_Legend

Unreal_Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Il check the 81.84 drivers out, when you 'getting around' the overscan, does this means it fixs it, or is there still picture loss?