Connecting my Panasonic 5.1 surround system (SC-MT1) to my new LG 3D LED TV 42LM649S

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ter809, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Ter809

Ter809
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I recently bought the new LG 42LM649S along with an LG blu ray 3D player. About 10 years ago I bought a Panasonic 5.1 channel surround system (model SC-MT1) and although now it's a bit old, I still wish to keep the 600W rms sound in my room. However I'm having trouble transferring audio from the tv to the surround system, as the tv has only an optical port for audio out and to the contrary, the surround system has phonos for audio in.

I don't usually watch much broadcasted channels on my tv so I will use it mostly for dvds. Could I please have your help on this? Would a scart to phonos cable work (scart to tv and phonos to surround)? Cause as far as I know scart is only used for input.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    The only audio that TVs usually output by optical is that from their internal tuner.
    Audio from an external source such as the player would not be on it.
    Scart sockets sometimes do audio out so that might be a solution as you suggest.

3. Ter809

Ter809
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.
    I tried using the scart socket but it didn't work :( it seems it only takes audio/video in. I also tried the headphone port (as some tv sellers suggested), using jack to L/R phono (female) cable, and then phono to phono (both ends male) cable to my surround system. However, apart from loud distortion, the output was only in 2 speakers (obviously the front left and right speakers). Do I necessarily need a digital to analog 5.1 converter/amplifier? Cause from what I'm seeing they're not cheap.

Thanks again.