Connecting music to amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Islayer, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Islayer

Islayer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently bought my first hifi setup, monitor bronze audio 2 paired with a yamaha RN303D. im new to this audiophile game and was wondering the best ways (for sound quality) to connect my phone and pc to the amp. the amp has its own airplay called musiccast which is what i am using to connect my phone to the amp at the minute, would this be the best way in terms of sound quality? also i was thinking about a 3.5mm to optical for connection via the pc?

2. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    For iPhone - Airplay is lossless - so that's as good as it gets - continue to use it.
    Airplay has the advantage of sending the full signal to the amp and controlling the volume on the amp (can even use the phone's volume buttons for this - it just sends commands to the amp).
    Only thing with airplay is the maximum volume level on airplay (via volume buttons on phone) may be way below what the amp is capable off (on my AVR its -20dB), but its generally still a loud listening volume. Of course you can also use the musiccast app on an iPhone to control the amp's volume directly as well.

Probably best and most convenient to just use the iPhone - that's what I use (or my mac laptop which also has audio airplay) - I never bother with audio from PC anymore for just listening. PC audio gets better if you buy a decent USB DAC.

3. Islayer

Islayer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah the only thing is though streaming companies dont have alot of the ncs songs and all the remixes etc, so cant use airplay for youtube which is a shame.