Connecting multiple sources to plasma; SCART switch -> Component or another way?

bigtoester

Standard Member
I've just sourced a panasonic plasma panel from these very own forums for my parents, long users of CRT until their last one died.

This panel has just two inputs; 1 x component and 1 x VGA. At the moment they have an SDTV digibox and a DVD player, both with SCART output.

My plan was to source them an RGB SCART switch box, then an RGB SCART -> Component cable so they could have multiple devices connected.

Can you recommend any products to do this? Ideally I would like the whole thing to come under £50 if possible. Alternatively, if you can see a better way of hooking up multiple devices to this display I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance

StevieBuck

The scart to component cable/adaptor will only work if the DVD player and digibox can output component video signals over their scart connections. Have you checked this?

My guess is that they don't, as this isn't exactly a standard feature. You'll probably need an active scart to component converter instead - and by the looks of it the converter alone will cost more than your £50 budget:

TVCables Scart To Component Converter

Lindy SCART to Component Video Converter

bigtoester

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice. It's a good job I asked then!

This has given me something to think about. What is the standard output format of common DVD players and older SCART devices such as SD digiboxes then? Is it composite? Please excuse my ignorance :)

I wonder if there are any better options going down the VGA route. I guess I'm always going to hit the problem of not having the correct signal coming from the sources though.

StevieBuck

Yes, all standard devices will output composite over scart. Many will offer RGB as well, which gives better quality than composite. Normally you need to enable RGB output in the device's menu though.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom