connecting multiple inputs to a surround sound

owen3010

Novice Member
i have a lot of devices and want to buy a 5.1 system that lets me use them all without having to use switches or change wires.

i will need these inputs

apple tv: optical audio
blu ray player -not sure as i havnt bought it yet
xbox 360- red and white
sky box -red and white
apple airport express 3.5mm or red and white
a spare 3.5mm jack so i can plug my electric guitar in to it

i just want 1 out of the box solution for as cheap as possible :lease:

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
You could probably get something as cheap as chips that could sound anything from utter rubbish to maybe just ok or spend a decent amount on something s/h and get the job done to more than just satisfactory.

So whats the budget?

Will this include speakers?

Last edited:

Berties

Banned
Always buy a system with plenty of inputs, granted you've got HDMI switches which helps (and they carry audio and video so no picture or sound quality loss) But if you're not spending a lot then one of those is quite a bit.

Also isn't xbox 360 digital out? I'm using one of those optical dongle things about £2.50.

Electric guitar I'm pretty sure is different impedence/voltage? Unless your guitar amp has standard line level outputs.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Apple airport express is also optical out on the 3.5mm jack

MaturityDodger

I'd second the AVR and speakers (from both this thread and your other one), but that could be out of your price range. I don't know as you don't specify a budget.

A couple of points to note though:

You won't get 5.1 audio from 'red+white' RCA connectors. The best you can get is a stereo-to-5.1 upmix in the AVR, which is never very good. If there's a digital alternative to connect your devices, this is better.

Guitar signals are often clipped. If you have an amp and speakers that work happily together and then put a heavily clipped signal through them, you can blow your speakers.
I wouldn't put your guitar through hi-fi/home cinema equipment, just use a designated guitar amp or PA equipment.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Novice Member
You could find a nice department store that sells Hi-Fi, TVs and guitar amps and ask if they'll let you live there! :0)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom