1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting multiple consoles at once to a DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gozaimas, Jun 1, 2005.

1. gozaimas

gozaimas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am going to purchase a Infocus SP4805.

I currently have a multi console set up. All my consoles run through an advanced scart selector and then via scart into my TV.

I want a similar set up on my Infocus SP4805 but understand that there is no scart connector on the back. Is rthere anything I can do to avoid having to switch over the leads to my various consoles the whole time?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Maybe a SCART to RGB lead, assuming the 4805 will accept an RGB signal via the component inputs.

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you 100% decided on the 4805?

What model is the scart selector? You could try finding a Scart to VGA adaptor, or simply use a composite out from the scart selector to the 4805 (but this won't give you a great picture).

Ive just ordered a Sanyo Z3 for £998 from Nexnix which was probably about the same price as the 4805, and its got a couple of component inputs which I plan to use with my consoles.

Alternatively you could check out the Panasonic AE700u which has an RGB scart input, and is available for the same price as the 4805.

4. gozaimas

gozaimas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm- that's really helpful. I'm not 100% on that DLP yet and your points have given me cause for pause...

My priority is for consoles first- movies second.
    With that in mind which of those three models (4805/ z2/z3/ Ae700) would best suit my needs?

5. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DLP seems to give better contrast and colour at the same price point, but at the cost of a lower resolution. To movie watchers, which appears to be the majority of PJ users on this forum, this isn't a major problem. Movies don't suffer as much as games do when fed through a lower resolution - but gamers have been tinkering with their PC game resolutions for years. From a game point of view, resolution probably comes first, along with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

So I've decided to go with the Sanyo Z3 LCD, for the following reasons;

- £998 inc. from Ivojo.co.uk or Shootandshow.co.uk
    - 1280 x 720p native resolution - which all X360 games will work at.
    - 2 x Component inputs (component has already become the prefered high end console connection).
    - I've been using an old (& at the wrong viewing distance) Hitachi C225 4:3 PJ with an 800 x 600 res, so I know LCD's pros and cons, and the Sanyo should be a massive improvement over the Hitachi. I've not used DLP before.
    - A throw distance that works for me.
    - 3 year warranty! And a 90 warranty on the lamp.

If you purchased the SP 4805, then you will miss out on the HD resolutions that the next gen consoles will use, and from a £1000 gaming purchase, this is not what you want!

The Panasonic AE700U is available at about £1000 (at the link below), but it only has a 1 year warranty, which just isn't long enough for me. Its got an RGB Scart input, which would have been a fantastic feature, but scart is on it's way out - I doubt I'll ever connect a next gen console using scart.

http://www.krishav.co.uk/store/prodView.asp?idProduct=995&idCategory=519

So for a £1000 gaming PJ, I'd say go for an LCD model, you'll get more resolution for your bucks. The Z3 won it on specs for me, and I'd say the same for you, so i'll let you know how it handles an Xbox in hi-def when it arrives on Friday. If you want to spend less, check the Z2, which you can get for around £550.

If you can stretch to £1500, wait a month for the BenQ PE7700 a DLP PJ with a 1280 x 720p resolution, the best of both worlds!

Finally - make sure you've checked out the throw distance using this handy tool;

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z3-projection-calculator-pro.htm

6. gozaimas

gozaimas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is really helpful.

In terms of current generation of consoles all mine are japanese models (Smokey Xbox/ Panasonic Q and Ocean Blue PS2) so the HD would be a big benefit even now...

Out of interest- in terms of the Z2- and I'm thinking solely in terms of gaming now- what are the big drawbacks next to a Z3. that's quite a substantial price difference...

7. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was in the same position, and still went for the Z3.

I decided that if I was going to spend £550 to £600 on a second hand model, then I may as well (be a nobba and break my budget!) spend £998 on a new PJ that will come with a 3 year waranty, and I'll still be able to sell it on at a decent price later this year if I want to.

I'd check these links for the specs and reviews on both;

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv-z3.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv_z2.htm

Besides the warranty and piece of mind, a few other factors made me choose the Z3;

- Based on purely on specs the, Z3 is the quietest PJ I've found, and I HATE noisy fans! This is a major selling point for me.
    - Dust blobs can be removed easily on the Z3.
    - 2 x component inputs on Z3.
    - Picture quality and contrast are improved on the Z3.
    - The Z3 has HDMI, the Z2 has DVI, so both can use digital connections, but the PS3 will use HDMI, so the Z3 will make things slightly easier.

So you'll still get the resolution at half the price, but connectivity, acoustic noise and PQ are not as great.

8. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    My mate has a Z2 and I have a Z3, the main difference is contrast and that the Z3 has two component inputs instead of one, also I noticed a lot more vertical banding on the Z2.
    I use mine mainly for films but I do use my ps2 on it via component and i've never seen it look better. GT4 looks amazing as does tekken 4 in progressive scan.
    My mate uses an xbox on the Z2 a lot and that looks amazing by all accounts.(I've have not seen the xbox running only dvd's but my mates have seen it and think it's awesome.)
    I bought the Z3 after seeing the Z2 in action and I feel the Z3 is an improvement over the Z2.