1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting media PC to Panasonic plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Burmey, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Burmey

Burmey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've checked numerous threads - can't find anywhere what I need to know!

I want to buy a Panasonic Viera TH-37PE30 and connect a 'media PC' to it. The thing is that Evesham Computers have said that the Plasma screen must have PC Support for 1280 x 1024 for best results. I can't find any info on this - are Evesham confusing issues and will most/the Panasonic support this PC resolution.

Please - any advice welcome!

2. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PWD6 supports resolutions up to 1600x1200 as detailed in the back of the manual. I was able to get it to display like 2000x1500 though!

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    So does the Viera according to my manual. Only trouble is that the VGA port is front mounted under the flap. Burmey are you sure the Viera is best suited to your needs? It can certainly handle the resolution that you mention...
    There's a whole bunch of screen resolutions I've not quoted from 640x400 up to 1,600x1,200. However, as I stated earlier the VGA port is front mounted, not really meant for permanent connections.

S.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The line from Evesham has a whiff of farmyard. You do not want to send a 4:3 resolution or everything on the screen will be distorted. You could use 1280/720 or screen native, 852/480. Might be better, as Steve says, to pick another screen in any case.

5. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I think there is a little truth in this as i have always used my PC with my plasma from day one and i have found that 1280 X 1024 produced the best results with no distortions whatsoever, whether it be video or TV 16:9 or 4:3!

Cheers! :smashin:

6. Burmey

Burmey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew! Thanks for all your info - I came very close to buying the Viera - I'd have been 'stuffed' if it wasn't for your advice.

Thanks again.

7. Timmah

Timmah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neonmod,
    Am thinking about the PX11 and am interested to know more about how it handles pics from a PC...What do you use the PC for? Is it just for games or can you browse and stuff? Is text readible?

Cheers

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The Viera's are fantastic plasma tellys and I am still loving mine but (and it's a monster of a but) if you're looking to permanently connect a media PC via the D-sub VGA connector then it's not the unit for you. It's also 852x480 resolution which is probably not the best choice for a media PC set-up. You'll be better off with a high res screen e.g. 1024x768 (elongated pixels as this is a 4:3 res) or 1366x768 (square pixels as this is true 16:9 res).

Glad to hear you didn't get stuffed. :smashin:

S.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Burmey, the fav screens for PC use in 42" are the panasonic TH42PHD7, and the Pioneer PDP43MXE-1. The Pio comes out a bit cheaper, if you want to connect with DVI is slightly more plexible, as it takes native res on DVI at 50Hz, which the panasonic will not, causing frame rate conversion judder. This is completely negated if you intend using VGA, either will do a very fine job. Simply a matter of taste on the type of picture you prefer. Neither comes with speakers though, and they are both pig ugly with speakers fitted... IMHO anyway. An altenative might be a LCD panel, sharp 37" or NEC or Iiyama 40" if your finances run to it. They are higher res, and true 16:9 res or nearly so in the case of the big ones. That's better for games, browsing the web, but makes little difference with video, Sound is best with an external 5.1 system naturally in any case.

10. Burmey

Burmey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a budget basis and your advice MAW, it's either a panasonic TH42PHD6 or a panasonic TH37PHD7 - would you have any preference? Would the 7th generation on the 37" give me more (if not smaller picture!) than the 42" 6th generation? I can't stretch to the panasonic TH42PHD7!

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There's no such thing as a PHD37, it's too low res for HTPC, you want the 6 series 42HD then.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    lisag is using a 37PW7 with a media PC see her posts/thoughts.....