Connecting MacBook Pro to Sony 40W2000 TV?

digitaldave

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to connect my MBP to my Sony 40W2000 TV? The TV has 2xHDMI, component and VGA inputs. Hopefully it'll be as simple as using a DVI-HDMI cable... I'd like to see how DVD playback is on the TV from the MBP, it's not for World Of Warcraft, honestly ;). TV is 1920x1080 resolution, MBP is 1440x900 native.

Thanks,

Dave.

Yes dvi>hdmi will do the trick - you'll also need a 3.5mm>twin phono for the audio unless you are running that through an amp in which case use the same lead or a 3.5mm jack optical lead if your amp supports that ...

Be interested on how it handles the scaling from an SD source ...
Jon

Audio would be optical to my amp, so no problems there.

Would the TV just appear as an external display on the MBP?

IIRC it will appear as an extended desktop initially - so you'll need to press F7 to set up in mirrored mode ... through the dvi>hdmi link it should read the resolution of the tv and offer as an option in the display resolutions pane ...

You can also use the MBP with the lid shut and it will auto switch to the main display for using frontrow, etc (you can also use it in this way with an external keyboard and mouse )
HTH

Jon

I bought a DVI-HDMI adaptor this morning and tried it out, and I have to say it looks pretty good. The TV resolution was detected correctly. I managed to get extended and mirroring working, as well as lid closed. It took a while to figure out the lid closed operation, but eventually got it sorted - you need the power adaptor connected to get it going right.

I'm not an expert in reviews, but in a brief viewing, it looked to be at least as good as my Denon 1730. Now all I need is the ability to play back HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and external USB HD-DVD and Blu-Ray drives, and I'm sorted :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom