Connecting Mac via Onkyo?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by googlebox99, Jun 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. googlebox99

googlebox99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have an Onkyo 605 going to a Toshiba WLT66. I'd like to connect my macbook every so often to browse net on the big screen. What is the best way to do this?

Through Onkyo, or straight into HDMI or PC on TV? I have no HDMI inputs on Onkyo left.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    I think you've answered your own question! ;) If it's just for occasional use, I would simply connect to the TV and there is no real advantage in connecting a PC via an amp anyway unless it's for the convenience of running a single HDMI cable. What connections are available on a macbook as ultimately that's what is going to be the deciding factor?

3. googlebox99

googlebox99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just a mini DVI socket, but would it be better for me to get a DVI-HDMI to the TV, or just a normal VGA cable?

4. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Hi,
    As I understand it, I would recommend going the HDMI route as the signal will remain digital.

I'm having problems setting my mac to 1366*768 when using the VGA converter. At the moment I can only get it to 1280*768 and have black borders. This is when connecting to a sony KDL40p3020.

5. dannydj

dannydj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    if you want sound as well picture id go via the onkyo, as im pretty sure the dvi to hdmi will only provide picture, thus if running straight to the panel an audio lead (3.5 to 2 phono ) will be required.