Connecting mac book pro to av receiver for 4K and dolby atmos

FesneuAV

My goal is to connect a somewhat old mac book pro (2016) running macOS Catalina to an AV receiver that can play 4K and dolby atmos. Source would be something like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I am confused because I read that only mac book pro from 2018 can play dolby atmos.

I actually don't understand why that would be. I do not believe there is a need for specific hardware to simply pass the sound to the AV receiver, via the HDMi cable?

Similarly, can a 2016 Mac book pro pass 4K signal to an AV receiver?

razy60

My goal is to connect a somewhat old mac book pro (2016) running macOS Catalina to an AV receiver that can play 4K and dolby atmos. Source would be something like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I am confused because I read that only mac book pro from 2018 can play dolby atmos.

I actually don't understand why that would be. I do not believe there is a need for specific hardware to simply pass the sound to the AV receiver, via the HDMi cable?

Similarly, can a 2016 Mac book pro pass 4K signal to an AV receiver?
I'm pretty sure it's more to do with licensing, if a manufacturer has enabled/paid for it in a device then it won't play, or something along those lines.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'My goal is to connect a somewhat old mac book pro (2016) running macOS Catalina to an AV receiver that can play 4K and dolby atmos. Source would be something like Netflix or Amazon Prime' - I was hoping for similar with my Betamax deck :)

You have a couple of options - upgrade your MacBook Pro or connect an ATV 4K to your AVR.

Joe

chopples

Distinguished Member
Agree with Joe, you would be better off with an ATV4K. I am guessing the cpu is skylake on the macbook? the gpu in these cannot hardware decode HEVC, this was added in Kaby Lake. In addition for Netflix the MacBook also need to have the T2 chip, Its probably the same for apples own stuff, this I presume is to help with DRM security. I am guessing this is where the 2018 requirement comes from.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom