1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Loewe Aconda with Tosh SD210 via component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by KingKitega, Jan 23, 2002.

1. KingKitega

KingKitega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how this is done?

I've read that you need a 3-phono to SCART interconnect to AV3, but how about the audio? The Aconda doesn't have a optical/co-axial audio input right?

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Many thanks.

2. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do it 5 phono plugs (2 extra for sound) to scart and you will have audio, I believe. But to benefit from all that gear you may consider a HT system.

3. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly a stupid question, but what is a "HT System"?

John

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    It's a Home Theatre system. Ie a surround sound amp and speaker system.

As Pedro says you need a very specific. I take it that your DVD doesn't have a scart oupput that supports RGB out. If it does then why not just use that?

If it doesn't then you need to get someone to make you a lead that is 5 phono's to Scart. At the scart end it must be wired for sound IN and RGB. The component signal is carried on the RGB sockets at the scart in Loewe TV's. You then need to go in to the menu system of the TV and tell it that your chosen scart socket has to accept YUV with sync on Y.

Gordon

5. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,

I believe the quality difference between RGB or Component input in the Aconda depends of which hardware does the best conversion from Component to RGB, either the DVD player or the TV set. So, with some DVD players the Componet connection may be slightly better, with others the RGB. Correct?

What about that story that the Aconda can do progressive scan if one uses the Component input? I believe you said it is not true. At least I cannot find anything in the manual about it, and I find the internal interpolation processing poor with RGB and s-video. Reason why I have it always off. It looks nice with 100hz anyway.
    Is it any different for Componet input?

Regards

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For 100Hz sets, component (YPBPR) should be better than RGB since it's the native format of these sets. All digital processing inside is done in YUV component format; if an RGB signal is sent to the TV, it is first converted to YUV before processed.

I find it so annoying that my Philips set, though its input processor is able to handle component, does not support it.

7. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Interesting.

Additionally, I believe the information is stored on the DVD in YUV format.

So then, if you have a DVD player and a 100Hz telly and connect them with a SCART and send RGB, the DVD player converts the native YUV to RGB in order to send the signal to the SCART. Then the TV set converts it back to YUV to do the 100 Hz digital processing thing. And finally, it converts YUV again to RGB because that is what gets sent to the tube.

That's three signal conversions. Ouch.

8. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think RGB to Component conversion is pretty simple. Therefore the introduced error are almost none, if not none.

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a little unclear on this issue also. I definately want to make use of the Component out on my DVD player and Component in on the Loewe Aconda.

I'm not interested in routing the DVD sound to the TV though as all that goes through the amp. Therefore, what lead do I need? Will a standard IXOS Scart to 3 Phono do the job? If so, won't two of those phono's be more suited to audio pass through than video? Also, what does the "sync on Y" mean in practical terms when making the connections?

Thanks.

10. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An usual 3 phono to scart cable will not work because you need the 3 phono cables linked to the correct pins in the scart end.
    And as you said 3 of the cable/plugs may not be capable of transport video signal without big losses. So the best thing is to ask somebody to do a proper cable using a nice scart (if there is such thing; scart are not really a good thing per se) , proper cable (I mean good performance; there are a lot of cheap cables out there that have the necessary properties; try the canare ones; no no to snake oil theory about cable materials and other nonsense crap) and 3 good Phono/BNC plugs (also like the Canare ones; which are crimped instead of soldered, having a better impedance mach because of that; but unfortunatelly with a Scart in the other end, impedance match is going to be impossible :-( ).

I hope it helps.

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The info I have, from a site in the states and from the dealer in Portugal, is that it does Proscan (their name for progressive scan) at least for NTSC, and only thru component video connection.

At least it is nice to avoid the 3 extra conversions, no matter how simple they might be...

Now, the main reason DVDs don´t do progressive scan with PAL material is copywrite protection. As that is not an issue inside TVs, you cannot record their internal signal, I would not be surprised if Loewe does that too...

I also heard that Arcam DVDs do progressive scan from PAL with a tweak, even if they cannot admit it because of what was said above...

Another hint, the technician told me that there are settings in the software for both NTSC proscan and PAL proscan...

My experience is that the image is MUCH better with component video than with RGB, including PAL material, 99% of what I watch... And this is the most important argument, I would say...