Connecting line-level only sub to an older amp? Help

mikemystery

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help: I've just acquired a Pioneer S-MS3SW subwoofer from a mate.
It ONLY has a single line-level input for a subwoofer preout (no L/R audio or speaker-level inputs),
But my amp is an old Marantz PM4200 and it doesn't have a sub woofer preout.
It does have two sets of speaker outs if that's any help, one spare the others going to a set of Alchemist Audio ADM-1 speakers with super tweeters attached.
I've also got a valve preamp (made by a wee old woman in Singapore under the name Martin Audio) that I use to connect my google choromecast audio to the amp.
Any idea how/if I can connect it?

You can buy high level to low level converters. Check eBay/ Amazon there are plenty available. I have never used one so can't comment on their quality.

If you get a stereo one you may also need a stereo RCA to mono summing cable, such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
@Rambles has answered your question. I'm a bit confused why you're using an additional pre-amp between you CCA and the Marantz integrated amp though? Or is it just that you wanted to add in a bit of valve distortion to flavour the sound in a way you like?

To be honest, I bought it 'cause it was my birthday and it looked cool ;) The old woman that makes them fixed my speakers and upsold me a pair of supertweeters, and I just loved the rather home-made steampunk look tbh: I'm not much of a golden ear, but imagine it makes it makes my Spotify sound nicer, warmer and a wee bit distorted.
I originally thought I could use it for my Stax earspeakers in the office, because the sound level on my SRM-1 is really low, whether I use a DAC or not, but it didn't work very well, so plugged it into the amp at home instead. It'll be rendered useless if Santa brings me the Cambridge Audio CXA81 I want for Christmas ;)
But based on the feedback, I think i'll give the subwoofer a miss: seems like bit of a guddle to get it up and running. For the time being I'll buy something cheap with speaker level inputs instead.
What is the best use for a line preamp?

The parts you'd need to buy to use the sub are not complicated or expensive so personally I'd give it a go.

The parts you'd need to buy to use the sub are not complicated or expensive so personally I'd give it a go.
I understand tho that a mono summing cable is a wee bit more complicated than a y splitter cable (needs resistors in it) and you can't exactly buy them off the shelf?
Other Products | MicModKits.com these guys make them, but they're in the states.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom