Connecting LG BP350 to Sony TV via HDMI Query

Greenman54

Novice Member
Hello

Please move if I have posted this in the wrong location.

I have a query on HDMI inputs on my Sony TV.

I have a SONY TV KDL-37W/5710 which is over 10 years old and was purchased in February 2010.

The TV has 4 HDMI ports and the manual advises that the HDMI ports are capable of supporting 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i.

I can currently connect the following via HDMI without any problem - a NOW TV Box circa 2017, an Apple TV (2nd Gen), a Humax HB 1100s circa 2018, a Windows 10 PC and Laptop.

I recently tried to connect an LG Blu ray Player BP350 (manufactured Aug 2020) via HDMI and a Win 10 PC with a Display port/HDMI adapter to the TV and they won’t display - just a black screen,

The LG BP350 momentarily displays “LG” and the TV displays 576p and then it went black.

Interestingly when I pass both unresponsive devices (the LGBP350 and the DP win 10 PC) through a “Techole HDMI Splitter” (amazon link) powered by 5V DC they do display fine – so perhaps the splitter amplifies the signal.

I appreciate that the TV is old but I am curious why this is happening. I have tried all of the 4 x HDMI ports on the TV in case one was at fault and all exhibit the above behaviour.

Many thanks for any observations – and as I say I have a work around but just looking for an explanation.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Tried the LG Blu-ray on a different TV just to rule out a fault in it?
If it works on a different TV at least you'll be able to see and enter the menu and check what video out resolution it's set to and you can change it to a different setting then retry it on your TV.

Greenman54

Novice Member
Thanks - Yes the LG Blu Ray seems to be fine itself. I connected it to a newer TV, a cheap 32" "e-star" purchased in 2019 and it works fine @1080p and as I say it works fine on the old Sony @1080p when passed through the techole splitter but won't display at all without it. I lowered the output resolution to 576p, 720p, and 1080i but it wont display - it just momentarily displays “LG” and the TV displays 576p and then it goes black. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom