Connecting LCD / Sky / PVR - quality problem.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by NemesisNG, Sep 6, 2007.

1. NemesisNG

NemesisNG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    'lo all

I've got a slightly annoying problem with the quality of picture I'm getting when recording sky on my PVR.

I have got a Samsung LE32N73BD tv with a basic Sky box and a Samsung DVD recorded / 160Gb hard drive. The Sky box has 2 scart outputs, one to the TV and one to the recorder, and then I've got a hdmi cable from the recorder to the TV.

The picture on the TV from Sky through the scart for everyday stuff is excellent, took a while but it's now stunning. Problem I have is the sky quality when watching it though the recorder and therefore the quality of any tv I record on it too. The picture seems to flicker and shake very slightly and I get some sort of interference in the form of black / white flickering on the edges of details in the picture.

Both scart cable and the hdmi cables are Monstor ones, all nearly £100 each so I'm hoping they are fine. I've tried all combinations of the scart inputs and outputs on the tv, sky and recorder and it seems to make no difference. Having said that tho I'm sure for a moment I did get it perfect on the recorder and then the tv went fuzzy but I changed the cables back and can now not replicate it.

I've tried recording tv and then playing it back and it's got the fuzz on the recording. But anything dvd wise I watch is fine so I'm assuming it's not the connection from the recorder to the tv on hdmi, but more the sky / recorder scart stuff.

Any suggestions? Hope I've posted this in the right forum place. Thanks.

Nick

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    It does sound like there is a problem somewhere but the pic quality of the recordings will not be as good as the ones viewed directly on the TV as the VCR output on a skybox is composite video, which is widely regarded as the worst quality of them all. Your cables should be fine (unless faulty) but all I will say about Monster is that I personally wouldn't pay for over packaged, over hyped (no substance), over engineered, over priced......I'll stop there. In order to get the best quality output from both directly viewed (TV) and recorded material you will need a RGB Buffer such as this one which is made by JS-Tech. I have one myself and it works a treat. Before splashing out though, try the same setup except outputing from the TV SCART output (set to RGB obviously on the sky box) via the DVD recorder and see if the problem still exists. If it is, I suspect the DVD recorder is at fault. Also try different SCART cables and even reversing them.

3. NemesisNG

NemesisNG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about the 2 sky outputs being of different format.

I'll have another play tonight then and see what works and what doesn't.

Oh, I know I was right royaly shafted on those cables, you live and learn. The other cable I bought after those was a £30 dvi to hdmi to connect the pc to the lcd which being a 5m cable seemed a lot better priced :)

Cheers

Nick

4. NemesisNG

NemesisNG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had another play last night, was a bit easier now knowing to look on the back of the sly box for the tv / vcr outputs. Also I'd got the sky box set to PAL and not RGB which wasn't helping.

I did manage to get the picture on the recorder to be perfect going from the TV output after I'd set RGB output so I think I've gone as far as I can.

Looks like £38 for a magic box then :)

Only thing with the buffer is that I'll need another scart cable, I suppose seeing as I've got Monstor ones for the main 2 that getting a cheaper one for the sky to buffer would not be worthwhile. Any suggestions on cables?

Thanks for the help!

Nick