1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting LCD Monitor to Freeview box, confused, help please.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Richard46, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I know there are lots of threads on this subject but reading them has left me more confused then before.
    I have a 30” LG LCD MW-30LZ10. I am temporarily running it from an old Ondigital Pace box with a Scart to Video cable.
    What I want is the best Freeview picture I can get within reason. I.e. I don’t mind spending a bit of money on a converter box cables etc. I also have an LG DVD/VHS combo (Scart output only) that I want to connect. Quality on this is very secondary anyway as I watch DVD’s on a bigger set up with my Arcam Diva. I mainly want this because I sometimes need to look at tapes for my work, but might watch the odd film.
    Will probably get another Pace Twin for the LG (or one of the new Fusion/Humanex? PVR’s if they appear shortly) as the digital source.

The LG has S-Video jack
    Y, Pb, Pr, component jacks
    And I quote from the manual
    ‘RGB1 (PC/DTV input)
    RGB2 (Digital RGB input) jack / RS-232C jacks
    -input rgb2 (digital RGB) when input signal supporting DVI-D.’

The Twin of course has an S-Video output which would be better than the composite video cable I have got at present but I am assuming I could do better. The Twin has a serial output as well, is that relevant? I am totally confused.
    Any help as to which way to go very much appreciated.

Regards Richard

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If the LCD has no Scart you need either RGB to VGA or RGB to Component.

Queue some experts.

Or buy a component equiped Netgem

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The netgem is raw sex with component, though I've got a pace twin on s-video myself.... it's not bad. Your rgb capabilities are a bit limited with that panel, and for best possible picture from RGB devices, you do indeed need a RGB-YUV converter, the best are from www.rgbtosvideo.com

4. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks Martin; Thanks MAW.

I did not know about the Netgem having Component, so I will think about that, although I did fancy a HD recorder. Think I will wait a 'few weeks' and see what this new Fusion Freeview/HD recorder is like and then make a decision. The Netgem would certainly be a much cheaper alt. especially as I would not need a converter.

Regards Richard