Question Connecting laptop to TV...

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by UKDJ, Dec 17, 2018.

1. UKDJ

UKDJ
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea if this is the best sub-Forum for my question, but here goes...

I have just got around to connecting my laptop (running Windows 10) to my (fairly old!) Panasonic TX26-LXD70 flat screen TV, for the purpose of viewing sites such as YouTube on the larger screen, via a DVI-D (laptop) to VGA (TV) cable.
    Whilst the picture is fine, I can only get sound from the laptop... Any tips how to get the sound from the laptop to the TV, or if this is even possible??? TIA.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Your TV will have an audio input associated with the VGA input (look at the connection panel adjacent to the VGA input and/or check your TV's user manual) and your laptop will have an audio output...usually a 3.5mm minijack socket.
    Connect these and you should have sound.

3. MultiRoom

MultiRoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Unless your laptop is ancient, it should have an HDMI output. But given it’s got a DVI output I’ve not seen one of those on a laptop for ages, so maybe it is ancient. HDMI is the preferred choice obviously, I believe most old TVs with VGA inputs have that input restricted to 60hz, so you may get judder if your source material is encoded at something other than 60hz. DVI is digital, you could get a DVI + audio mixer and send HDMI to your TV that way. Some thing like this: StarTech.com DVI to HDMI Video Converter with Audio

It’s pretty expensive, but it’ll allow you to alter your refresh rate, whether you think it’s worth it is another thing altogether.

4. motionman

motionman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up on this thread and sorry for highjacking it!. I have an old TX-32LXD85 TV. It's got HDMI connectors; it's got an ("Component") "audio-in" connection (two single pin connectors) and what appears to be a 15 pin VGA type socket that can be used to connect our PC-laptop (Windows 10). We have a transmit/receive Bluetooth dongle in the laptop. The laptop has HDMI connectors; it has the 15 pin VGA type connectors and a USB port. The TV, being old, is not 'smart' and has no Bluetooth capability at present.

We want to play DVDs on the laptop and view (with audio!) on the TV. What are my options for connecting the laptop to the TV and do they include Bluetooth? Can I Bluetooth enable the TV?

Any advice would be great!

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Connect your laptop to your TV via HDMI.
    Using Bluetooth would probably introduce latency problems where the video/audio would be out of sync.

6. motionman

motionman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JayCee, Thanks for the clear and swift answer. I'm guessing that the HDMI connection does both the video and audio?

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Yes, it does.

8. motionman

motionman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. I'm off to eBay to get a cable!