Connecting laptop to second screen

Logicann

Novice Member
Hi,
Probably a very simple question sorry.

I have a Dell laptop and would like to connect second monitor. I've tried an HDMI lead to my other laptop but no luck. What's the best way of doing this. I don't mind buying a second monitor but what arec the connection i need to look out for.

Many thanks

lee1980

I use a dell box, not quite a docking thing of old where it slots into, but means all connected to box and one USB lead to laptop only then. Similar if not same as this, are probably cheaper ways to.

lee1980

Oh if you want just a second monitor then a HDMI should work, just need to go to display settings etc.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You can’t plug it into another laptop though to use that screen or pass through though as suggested in the op post. It’s not clear though

Logicann

Novice Member
You can’t plug it into another laptop though to use that screen or pass through though as suggested in the op post. It’s not clear though
So I would like vto plug a second screen from my Dell laptop, will this work then?sorry all a bit new to this

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Your post is a bit unclear, it's not even obvious whether you're you're talking about a second external screen, or an external screen in addition to your laptop's built in screen.

For the vast majority of laptops all video connectors (DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA and DVI) are outputs and work independently so you can plug as many screens in as you have ports.

So if there's a spare one on the laptop it is normally just a case of plugging in a screen supporting the same video connection (or a compatible one).

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yep agree with @EndlessWaves it is still unclear.

Do you have one external monitor and you want to add another.

Do you want to use your existing laptop and want to add an external screen.

Or something else?

If you let us know the model number of your laptop and monitor(s) then we can advise better, otherwise, we are guessing and possibly telling you incorrect information.

Logicann

Novice Member
My laptop is dell model no. P119G ( bought this year) , i'm yet to buy an external screen so was just asking a general question whether you usually can connect external monitors, as you can tell very new to all this!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
So that particular laptop definitely has HDMI so can be connected to pretty much any device with an HDMI port which include the majority of monitors these days (though do check the specs).

You just need a suitable HDMI lead (often supplied with the monitor) and plug it in.

The monitor can range from around the £100 mark depending on size upwards to whatever your want to pay.

The other option which I am not sure will work but think so is a USB C monitor which may also allow you to charge the laptop from the monitor so you only need one lead to your laptop. These are more expensive and the cheapest Dell is £250. If you want to go the later would need to check if your laptop supports it.

oneman

yes it's my laptop that i would like to add to an external separate screen
You can't use another laptop as the second screen, the HDMI port on both laptops are output only. You will need to get a monitor. The easiest way to test the laptop is plug the laptop into a TV.

Atomic77

I believe that most laptops have a HDMI port for connecting to another monitor but I don't think you can connect two laptops together. I know that my HP laptop now a year old has a HDMI port.

ih8mondays

Not quite the same, but might be of interest...

you can use some software to make a mouse and keyboard work for multiple computers/laptops at the same time.

so you could run different apps on both laptops and easily control them by moving the mouse pointer back and forward between each laptop.

it’s been a while since I’ve used this, so I’m not sure how well it works on newer computers, but may be worth a look.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom