Connecting laptop to matrix switcher options

gashed

Standard Member
Hello,

I recently purchased an 8x8 RGB input matrix switcher and i'm looking to figure out the best conversion option for connecting a laptop as one of the inputs. The laptop has VGA or HDMI output so i'd be looking to convert one of those to RGB but can't figure out what my best option would be. Online searches are showing me a lot of poor reviews of VGA to RGB converters and concerns over the signal loss on HDMI to RGB converters.

Does anyone have any experience/advice with this scenario?

Thanks in advance.

*edit
I was considering using http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Ypbpr-Co...T3ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303856153&sr=8-1

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Your problem is you’re going to have to convert the RGBHV ‘VGA’ signal to a YUV signal that’s compatible with the Component Inputs on your Display devices – which always has the potential for signal quality loss.

Are you looking to play movies, surf the web or ‘work’ on the PC when viewing in each zone?

Joe

gashed

Standard Member
I'm looking for the ability to primarily play videos off the laptop on the multiple displays. Some signal loss is expected, but i'd like to do whatever is necessary to reduce the loss.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You may be better looking at a low cost Media Streamer with YUV out that can network with the Laptop or the drive the movies are stored on!

Joe

gashed

Standard Member
Do you have any examples of these machines?

The laptop and matrix switcher have already been purchased by someone else, i'm just trying to help him out in setting up the space.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom