1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting laptop to Denon 3805 - suggestions?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ic33, Aug 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ic33

ic33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a new AV receiver soon and the Denon 3805 looks to be the one to go for on features and performance. However I've also been considering the Pioneer VSX-AX5i and the Onkyo TX-NR801E as these offer PC connectivity in the shape of, respectively, USB and Ethernet ports. The Denon misses out in this respect but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get a (digital) signal from my laptop to the receiver? I know you can buy external USB soundcards with analogue and digital optical outputs but ideally I'd like to make use of the firewire port on my laptop. I'm just thinking audio at present but being able to send a video signal as well would be a bonus.

Also, looking at pictures of the 3805 the Denon Link appears to be a RJ45 socket, as used for Ethernet connections. So the question is, with appropriate software, would it be possible to use a PC to 'mimic' a Denon device and use an Ethernet-Ethernet connection?

2. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My laptop has a S-video out. I take it you would have check for that.
    I hope to be able to plug it into my Denon 2805...which i pick up from the shop in about 1 hour. Hooray!

3. ic33

ic33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, no S-video on laptop, just 3 x USB, 1 x firewire, 1 x ethernet, 1 x modem, headphone jack and display output (small D-shaped I think).

4. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not really what you're looking for but it was cheap: I use a Sony PCLK-U5 USB to optical converter I got off eBay for about £15.

5. ic33

ic33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion, that might have been a starting point but I did a search for it and apparently it doesn't work with Windows XP! I'm guessing there might be something similar out there though...

6. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It works fine on XP for me, there is also the Sound Blaster MP3+ here.