1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Kiss DP-500 Onto Wireless LAN?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by don, Dec 20, 2003.

1. don

don

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just aquired a Kiss DP-500 which has an ethernet port. Got a laptop upstairs with all my DivX films.

Would be really nice to set up a pier to pier wireless connection using a wireless bridge connected to the Kiss DP-500 and a wireless LAN card in the laptop.

My question is, before I take the plunge and blow £120 on the project has anyone tried this before, and did it work?

Cheers

2. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can connect successfully with a cable then a wireless bridge will certainly work (I do this for my xbox). It'll just be slower, but fast enough for streaming - I would imagine...

3. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    As Dodgey Says, Ive had no problems streaming Divx on a WLAN using a Dlink 802.11b bridge.... To be on the safe side, i'd go 802.11g now, which gives you more bandwidth with the same range. be aware though, that RF is a funny thing - every house is different... so nobody can say how successful you will be without giving it a go. Certainly though there is no 'technical barrier' - just get a .11g Brige into your DVD Player, and a suitable connection for you PC.

Kev

4. don

don

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback - I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

5. slaguru

slaguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a kiss 580 which is connected via a wireless bridge. Works fine to be honest, some slowdown on the divx on occation, but I use the webradio and MP3 streaming the most and its seamless.

Tim

6. dinarly

dinarly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Linksys WET11 bridge to a Netgear WG602 access point. The WET11 is an 802.11b device (g not being available when I ordered the WLAN kit) and very easy to set-up and use. They are about 25 feet apart with no line of site.

As indicated by Tim above, MP3’s work well as do most movie formats. I suspect that using an 802.11g bridge would give more consistent results for movies.

I also use Ezlink on my XP server for the PC link service. It is easy to set-up and use. I found Ezlink while browsing this site: here

Whilst the WLAN option works for me in most cases, it will depend on your own circumstances as to the results you’ll get. I assume that since you are using a laptop, the WLAN service is 802.11b (built in WLAN device?). If there is big distance or many and think walls separating the Bridge from the laptop, the results may be marginal.

Can you beg (no stealing) or borrow a bridge or Access Point to try it out?

All the best
    ASH