1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting KEF Eggs

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gilesm, Apr 23, 2003.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear all

Just read a PDF file on the KEF site about wiring up the eggs for stereo. Essentially what it says is that if the sub-woofer drops out during stereo play back (mine does) then you can reconnect the two fronts via the sub woofer rather than directly to the amp, the amp then passes on the signal to the fronts and extracts what it needs for the bass.

Is this a common thing to do? Has anyone else with KEF eggs done this? if so does it work for stereo and how does it affect DD/DTS and DVD-A sound - if at all?

Thanks

2. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why does your sub drop out? - how have you got your amp set-up? all speakers set to small and sub on? - have you got a separate music mode? if so can you enable the sub in that as well?

Otherwise yes you can connect that way but it does add another connection in the chain to the front speakers which, I would think, would degrade the sound to some degree - even if only a small amount

3. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    gilmore, had my speakers set to large and sub on. As soon as I turned amp to stereo then the sub woofer would drop out. Changed it to small all round and sub on - and I still don't get the sub working in stereo. I do if I stick it on hall or pro-logic but the sounds not great.

However I've found if I play CD through 5:1 connectors (analogue) from DVD to amp and with correct settings on DVD player (small allround, sub on, and set stereo+sub to crossover) then it all works fine, and in fact its a fantastic sound. Still trying to get to grips with all the settings.

Thanks

4. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend keeping all speakers set to small for both music and movies, and let the sub handle the low stuff - this will sound clearer and protect your little kef eggs too