1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting it all up ... !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by abooker, Oct 28, 2005.

1. abooker

abooker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at spending around £750 to buy a decent projector (up to 2000 lumens) which I want to hook up to a DVD player and speakers. I've tried it at home already with an old Epson but couldn't get the speakers to work with the DVD I was playing. This isn't for home use, this is to do presentations in front of an audience in varying sized rooms/halls etc.
    Please can anyone 1) suggest how I need to set up the system and 2) recommend a decent projector that would be best to do this with. I'll need to carry all the equipment round so the lighter the better really ....
    Many thanks in advance

2. abooker

abooker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please - I can't quite seem to figure it out so it works properly .... ! :lease:

Cheers ...

3. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    How are you connecting the speakers? Bear in mind that most DVD players do not have a built in amplifier so you're going to need either an external one or speakers with a built in amp.

4. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Are you looking for a multimedia projector with built-in speakers?

5. abooker

abooker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I can get a projector with decent speakers built-in then great, but I wouldn't of thought they would be anywhere near as good as having seperate ones ?? So I need to buy some speakers (like your average PC ones) but with built-in amps ?
    Cheers ...

6. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    A friend of mine has got the new Optoma with DVD and speakers built in. The sound isn't terrible in is front room but I doubt it would fill a hall of any size. PQ is OK too.

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    stereo or surround sound? if budget is cheap just get the best computer speakers, you normally get a powered subwoofer that also powers either a pair of satellites or 5 satellites.....Logitech are very good for this....reasonable quality for the money, usually go pretty loud...

however if you want a lot of volume then just look for active monitors, you can get them various places, some cheap, some expensive......

most PJ's that do have sound are likely to be very tinny and almost painful on the ears when turned up loud.....possibly there are some that are better, i dont know any myself, sorry.

8. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    That's not a bad idea. The Optoma DV10 can be had for about £800 and has built-in DVD player and speakers. That would be easier to transport than separates, assuming that it's loud and bright enough for your requirements.

9. abooker

abooker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks all.
    The Optoma looks a nice piece of kit, but I was hoping to get nearer 2000 lumens. I might opt for a decent projector with around 2000 lumens, like the new Sonys or something, then hook up the DVD player with some Logitech speakers (with built-in amp!). It might be a bit harder to cart round but the overall quality should be better ... ?!
    Cheers ...

10. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0