1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting it all up???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mhuk05, Mar 2, 2005.

1. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Hello,

I have a Marantz sr5400. Will be connecting a dvd, digibox, vcr and the TV to it.

Is it best to only connect the audio outputs (from the above) to the 5400 and still use my SCART leads for the visual side of things? I'll be connecting the DVD and digibox to the 5400 with component leads. Just not sure on the how/ why of the SCART side of things (or s-video even). The manual is clear as mud....

Any advice? :confused: :confused:

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends really...do you use the Marantz for sound all of the time...? If so, then connecting all your video sources to the amp is a good idea as whatever is on screen is also heard.
    If you use the TV speakers, then go the scart way. Plus, unless you have a Netgem freeview box, you'll need an RGB to component converter also...add £150 to the budget... :rolleyes:

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    hmm, my reply has disappeared.. :confused:

I had a netgem but just sold it. Being replaced with a Dreambox, which has component out.

The Marantz is replacing an old Yamaha system which wasn't up to much. So am thinking to connect all audio to the SR5400 and all visual to the TV (3 scarts and a component). It should have audio out (can't find the manual), so was planning to connect the TV audio out to the Marantz,

How do you connect your amp? If it all goes through the Marantz does it need to be on all the time? I do have 4 speakers connected to the TV, they're OK (Wharfdale modulus). I guess I'll just have to experiment but am limited by the cables that I've got so someone else's experience might save me $$ on leads that I don't use e.g s-video leads. Are RGB Scart better than s-video or would connecting all "visuals" to the Marantz and using the component out proivide a better picture?? :rolleyes: