• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting It All Up - Pre-Emptive Help Required!

rio1981

Prominent Member
Let me start by saying that I am the typical lurker, used this site for ages for reference and finally I register, so hello to everyone...

Due to keeping the Mrs happy by clearing house-hold debt I now have the green light to go and buy the boys toys (HD TV, 360, new DVD, surround sound, etc). The 360 arrived in our household a few weeks back and is the first piece of the puzzle.

Live is something I never used on the old XBox, and I am completely ignorant when it comes to networking, etc - now I want to start laying the groundwork for getting it all up and running. Many people most probably have the same problem as I do - PC in spare room, 360 and phone socket in front room. Currently using a USB model (Voyager 105), which is plugged into an extension reel which trails down the stairs, ending at the phone socket.

Wireless seems expensive (£130 for the adaptor and router, perhaps?), so maybe wired would be better, if messier. I've seen the following product referred to:

Netgear DG632 - which looks like it would completely replace my Voyager modem, is this correct? If so I connect this to my PC via USB, and the 360 would have an ethernet cable going all the way up the stairs to it, by this method? I guess not, ideally the router should be close by the phone socket?

As you can tell, I need help - so any would be gratefully received before I rush off and make any unnecessary purchases! :D

ShadowmanUK

Established Member
The 632 is a good router. And I understand your problem about cost, its the official adaptor is so expensive.

So I can understand not wanting to go wireless, but why not pay a little extra now and at least be wireless ready?

The Netgear DG834G is more expensive, but you could use that in wired set-up now, and if you decide to go wireless later (I'm sure you will) you wont be kicking yourself for getting some non-wireless kit.

If your PC already has an ethernet card your away. If not its gonna cost you an extra £5 to get one. And you'll need a long ethernet cable (www.cableuniverse.co.uk are great and really cheap) to connect in your PC.

Oh hang on (its early)... I've just read back your post again.

You could still do all of the above. But you dont need the official adaptor. Cant you buy the DG834G and locate in the front room with your Xbox and phone socket and then get a wireless adaptor for your PC, the xbox is next to the router, so you wire that in, no wireless needed.

Most places do bundles so if you buy the router you get a wireless usb dongle for the PC for a fiver.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1407

Just an example, you can get it cheaper I'm sure.

Does that make sense?

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
I might have just been lucky but going Wireless cost me just a little under £60 (£47.50 for the MS Adapter and £10 for the Wireless Router) and has been definitely worth it. Just being able to turn on the 360 and have it connect to Live within a few seconds without any cables across the floor is a great feeling :thumbsup:

rio1981

Prominent Member
ShadowmanUK said:
The Netgear DG834G is more expensive, but you could use that in wired set-up now, and if you decide to go wireless later (I'm sure you will) you wont be kicking yourself for getting some non-wireless kit.

You could still do all of the above. But you dont need the official adaptor. Cant you buy the DG834G and locate in the front room with your Xbox and phone socket and then get a wireless adaptor for your PC, the xbox is next to the router, so you wire that in, no wireless needed.

Most places do bundles so if you buy the router you get a wireless usb dongle for the PC for a fiver.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1407

Just an example, you can get it cheaper I'm sure.

Does that make sense?

Cheers for your help - your website is superb too - all I need to do is understand one thing, that the DG834G has both wireless and wired capabilities, that seems to be the suggestion you're making mate?

If so then that solves the problem completely, I'll replace the longest cable run (PC) with wireless using a USB adaptor, and run the shortest cable run (360) wired into the router.

I enjoy learning about this type of thing, only problem is there seems to be an awful lot to learn! :D

rio1981

Prominent Member
Ignore me mate - I should have checked the .pdf on this beforehand!! I now know what connections you get on this router and that link shows you can get the USB adaptor for under a fiver... think this should be added to the shopping list :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom