1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting ipod to car stereo

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Brooktop, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I've just bought an itrip mini and am not really that impressed. Although it works, the sound quality is below radio quality. It could be that, being in Nottingham, virtually every band has something, or if not, something next to it. I will try and get 87.5 from Griffin, but don't think it will make that much difference.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a new head unit that plays MP3 and has an rca input for my ipod mini. My question is, do you know where I can get a cable to go from the ipod to the rca (aux) input on the front of the stereo. I believe the quality should be better if I go from the dock connector rather than the headphone jack, but can't find anything suitable, although I think the podgear audiobuddy might be suitable.

I'd initially posted this in the mp3 forum, but thought it might be better here.
    Does anyone have any views or experience of one of these?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-CD-MP3-WMA-USB-RADIO-STEREO-PLAYER-Head-unit-NEW_W0QQitemZ5822410763QQcategoryZ3293QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Any comments would be appreciated.

2. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i did use the pioneer ipod adapter but it was to slow and only showed 8 characters of text. i now use an aux in adapter with a belkin auto adapter which provides power and an audio out for the ipod. if i was you go for a pioneer of alpine that has cd changer control as this will have the option to buy a cable for the aux in

3. Member 7321

Member 7321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Dension do a JVC interface complete with cradle or dock cable both of which charge the ipod for £99.99. Any JVC head unit that can display CD Text will also display the ID3 tags from the iPod with this interface.

Regards

Paul

4. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're correct that the sound quality will be better if you use a proper line-output from your iPod rather than the headphone jack.
    the audiobuddy appears to be what you need - it has both mini-jack (3.5mm) plugs and an adapter to give you RCA/Phono plugs.

5. gasman1

gasman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have an alpine 9847r with the kca420i data cable, this connects directly to the ipod via its dock connection and gives line out, plus head unit track display. If you want an elegant solution this is it. The drawback is slow response time in track search, although skipping tracks is instantaneous and means the ipod can be placed out of site (mines in the glovebox). Some people complain about its inability to search for tracks quickly, but I maintain it would be dangerous to do so whilst driving and I am more than happy with quick access to playlists and track skipping (anything more in depth than this means I pull over and change it on the ipod itself, the head unit then starts playing my new chosen track straight away). I make loads of playlists depending on my mood, and also drag any new albums into a playlist for quick search.
    I looked at RCA connections and placing the ipod within reach, but once you add a cradle, cable plus line out onto to the bottom of the ipod, you have alot of gear cluttering up your dash, not to mention when you say you may buy an new stereo anyway, the cost of these nearly add up to an ipod adapter (i got mine off ebay, with the headunit for £200). Cant recommend enough, bin your itrip.

6. laveeza

laveeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am useing the pioneer ipod adapter but it was to slow and only showed 8 characters of text.

Imran hashmi
    www.visionstudio.co.uk 0044-7969012441

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    I use a cheap and cheerful solution.
    My Alpine headunit has a CD changer input on the back. I got a convertor to turn that into a regular phono socket Aux input (£15) and then added a cheap retractable Dock>phono cable from Logic3 (£8). The retractable cable comes out from a cubby hole in the dash next to the CD holders (Merc A class) and obviously retracts out of sight when I leave the car - a necessary precaution where I live.
    You can't charge at the same time, but battery life on the iPod is much better than any journey I'm likely to take. Obviously you get no control - but we put the iPod on a playlist and leave it alone.

8. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    In the end, my solution cost about £90 and I'm pleased:

Superior sound over the original head unit (they must put cheap ones in if a £55 one from the US sounds better!)
    Ipod hooked up via USB and sounds as good as the CD..it also charges the ipod...and can control from the head unit...BUT can only play in random order or one after the other...can't select track, album etc.

See my other post here, but I don't think there's a solution:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260945