Connecting iPhone to amplifier for lossless?

cunny678

Distinguished Member
I’ve been looking at getting back into listening to music on my music / home theatre system for a while.

Whilst I am looking for the best sound quality, my main priority is convenience. Therefore, I was looking on the internet to see the best way to connect my iPhone to my AV receiver for sound quality.
I listen to music mainly in the car as it’s a reasonable system and it’s the only place I get time to listen to it. However, as I have Apple Music and some of the albums are now lossless / hi res, I thought I’d try and connect it to my home system.
So I was wondering how to best connect my iPhone 12 to my AV receiver for the best sound quality?
From what I’ve read on the internet, 1. Bluetooth is no good as it’s low res
2. A lightning to aux will work, but again I think low res. 3. A lightning to RCA - not sure if this is low res again. 4. A lightning to camera Apple lead, which I think is basically a USB - possibly high res. 5. Connect to an external stand alone DAC - this should be hi res.
Can anyone confirm which is the best connection for sound quality or if there is another better option?

I did wonder if I could use a lightening to USB and connect to my OPPO blu ray player so that the inboard DAC would be used as it’s quite a good one?

Not looking to spend much money and would appreciate any help / suggestions.
Hopefully I’ve posted in the correct forum.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

cunny678

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. The Belkin airplay device looks a good option if I can’t get anything with higher resolution. No, receiver doesn’t have UPNP.

I did think about using a few year old Apple TV that I have, but not sure if it would work and if it would be low res.

3rdignis

I use Apple tv 4k for tidal, cd quality (16bit-48KHz) sounds excellent.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. The Belkin airplay device looks a good option if I can’t get anything with higher resolution. No, receiver doesn’t have UPNP.

I did think about using a few year old Apple TV that I have, but not sure if it would work and if it would be low res.

I’d certainly try that first. It has the added benefit of being free.

dollag

no it wouldnt be low res; however i beleive apple tv's do upsample everything to 48k.

an airport express works fine

cunny678

Distinguished Member
Great. I’ve got some options to try although I don’t think any will give me the highest quality available, I think it should be ok bearing in mind the limitations of my existing kit.

jamieu

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Great. I’ve got some options to try although I don’t think any will give me the highest quality available, I think it should be ok bearing in mind the limitations of my existing kit.

A good point, especially with an av (perhaps).

I doubt there’ll be any noticeable difference between the ATV and a many times more expensive method.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
A good point, especially with an av (perhaps).

I doubt there’ll be any noticeable difference between the ATV and a many times more expensive method.

Edit.

Unless you’re thinking of using the ATV with hdmi output, then, for music, that might be a bit jittery.

Not the optical out one though.

jamieu

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

jamieu

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom