• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting Iphone 4S to TV

Bagpuss12

I have bought myself a component cable to connect my Iphone 4S to my TV. The main reason for this was so I can use my Virgin TV Anywhere app to watch programmes on a TV when not at home. Connection is fine and I have played a You Tube video through the connection but when I try the VM Anywhere app I only get sound and no picture? The message on the picture says 'video mirroring is not allowed'. Is this an issue with the connection, the phone or VM??

Last edited:

Bagpuss12

But if I take my laptop I can log on and show the programmes through the TV? What's the difference between Iphone and laptop?

williamus

It's a complete guess but I'd say it's a restriction put on VM by content providers (e.g. sky).

Have to say it seems a bit mean if you've you've paid for the VM package, it's not as if you're getting something for nothing, is it?

I'm not a Sky subscriber but pay £4.99 pcm for the Sky Sports TV App which is also restricted for mirroring and I understand the reasons perfectly. But your case is a bit different. Having said that, as Hammer says, there's a similar restriction with Sky Go even if you have the full Sky package.

If it's any consolation I suspect that the limited quality of the VM App picture would be pretty dire on any kind of half-way decent size screen, especially through component cables.

If/when you upgrade to a 5, you'll find that the Component cables won't work at all, even with an adapter. You'd need the Lightning/HDMI adapter which gives very good results.

Not very helpful, I'm afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom