1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting iBook > 50" Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fill, Aug 2, 2004.

1. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried connecting my iBook to the Viera but couldn't get a signal on the plasma. Had all the right leads (I think) but couldn't get it to work. Is there anything I need to know, are there only certain types of computers that link up. Does it have to be a PC? I wouldn't of thought so?

Really wanna see the screen in it's true definition!

Any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your not having much luck with this screen are you Fill.
    Did you manage to sort out your PQ issue?

3. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a powerbook with an S-video and monitor out - mine seems to work fine by just connecting - On a Computer monitor it auto selects and has a dual display/desktop - You may need to select the input on your plasma and play around with the output on your mac. The same goes for the S-video - My powerbook uses a dongle for either connection. Hope this helps

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    What lead are you using ? I've hooked an iBook upto my 42" panny with no problem, using the VGA dongle.

Or are you using the s-video connection on the iBook ? Not sure, but I think you'd have to switch something on in the Display Settings preference pane to get the s-video active ... maybe.

Either way, it should work, although I'm not convinced you'll manage native resolution - aren't the iBooks 'crippled' w.r.t their second monitor support (or have you hacked the firmware ?).

Cheers, Carl.

5. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I connected the iBook via the VGA dongle out of the iBook and then one cable between the dongle and and port on the front on the plasma. Tried changing the settings in the display system on the ibook, but couldn't find anything, also went through all the options on the plasma, but still No Signal.

I think I would of only got 1024x768 pixels out of the ibook, but I was still interested in the quality? I'll probably use this facility quite a lot once it's up and running and works ok, I just wanted to test it with the iBook, then change over to my G5.

Orlando, you're not going to believe this but, two rows of lights have now gone out on my Denon 3805 Amp remote and the Denon 2900 DVD has so far rejected a R0 disc and a R2 disc. I've NEVER had a disc be rejected in my life, I've owned a DVD player since day 1 of launch when I imported one from the states years and years ago!! I own 100's of DVD's so is this now gonna be hit and miss with my collection. Oh, and plasma is still the same!!! Read your comment on comparing your old CRT and the dullness. I know what you mean, but yes the settings are low, as so are mine. But as a tester for the future try Dynamic of even cinema and turn the levels up a bit, it is very bright. Have it on those settings while changing the channel on sky and the white in that box is almost neon!!

thanks