Connecting Humax box using component cable

douki

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

My TV currently only has one hdmi socket and I'm thinking of getting a blu-ray player. If I were to connect my Humax Freesat box (non recordable one) to my TV via component cable then would I still get the HD channels? If so, would there be any noticeable difference in picture quality?

Thanks

Dave

That's a shame. I get HD from my Xbox via component.

You can probably use non-freesat mode to view BBC HD over component but you can't get ITV 1 HD this way.

What's non-freesat mode?

If you use manual tune it will add all the 400 or so free to air channels from 28.2/28.5E and give you another menu option STB Mode Freesat/Non Freesat. In non freesat you only have now and next prog info (no epg) but the box operates as a generic fta receiver and s does not have to use freesat's drm protection (disabling the 1080i component output). On a hdr you have to go into non-freesat mode and reboot the box. This allows recording of BBC HD without it being encrypted. You may have to do the same on a HD.

I see... So why would I ever not want non-freesat mode if all I'm losing is the full epg?

I'll have a play tonight :thumbsup:

I see... So why would I ever not want non-freesat mode if all I'm losing is the full epg?

Because you can't get ITV 1 HD in non-freesat mode due to the non standard parameters it uses.

Certainly, on a receiver unconnected to a recorder the EPG is not so vital - there are lots of other ways of getting channel listings. But if you need to set a timer on the box, & a timer on a recorder, then the EPG is necessary.

And, of course, on a PVR (like the Humax Foxsat HDR), the EPG makes it much easier to set internal recordings.

PS. In other respects non-Freesat mode on the Humax may be AOK - but I doubt if you would make that remark if you'd ever experienced non-Freesat mode on my Bush HD receiver!

Last edited:
I don't know how many of you guys have actually tried HD via component from the Humax box, but it works great on mine. You need to go into the menu and disable HDCP - yes its that simple.

This presumaby does not apply to the HDR, but the HD box is fine.

I don't know how many of you guys have actually tried HD via component from the Humax box, but it works great on mine. You need to go into the menu and disable HDCP - yes its that simple.

This presumaby does not apply to the HDR, but the HD box is fine.

There ain't a component output on the hdr (sadly :()

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom