• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting HTPC to a Sony KDL-40W4000

EnwezorN

Hi
I am planning to connect an HTPC (through an AV Receiver) to my main TV screen (Sony Bravia KDL-40W4000) over HDMI. The main purpose of the set-up is obviously to stream films & music.

Looking at the manual, I notice that the maximum screen resolution is 1280 * 1024. What I was wondering is how will the Windows 7 Desktop, the internet (YouTube, iplayer) or a game look at this resolution. I'm not particularly interested in playing games on it but wondered how this would look on such a big screen at this resolution. Any real life experiences of this?
I suspect that it won't be that great?? Any views.

I have another TV - a Sony Bravia KDL-37W5810.
It's maximum resolution when connected to a PC over HDMI is 1920 * 1084 (1080p). Am I right in thinking that the internet, Windows 7, games, etc. would look a whole lot better on this?

Is it a really big difference and if I wanted the higher resolution, I guess my only option would be a new telly - like the 40W5810?

Cheers

SkylinePhil

Standard Member
I think you are looking at the specs for the VGA socket - its a 1080P TV (I have the 32" version which accepts 1080P from 7MC over HDMI)

EnwezorN

Yes it is a 1080p telly but if you connect a PC to it, the manual says that the maximum resolution is 1280 * 1024.
I imagine it is the same for your telly.

The telly has no problem displaying 1080p content streamed to it from a PC or a blu-ray player. What I'm interested in is when you are outside a media player or a 1080p video stream from a blu-ray player, what does the picture look like of a Windows desktop?

e.g. my laptop has a highest screen resolution of 1400 * 1050. It looks sharp. If I turn the display settings down to 1280 * 1024, the picture is ok but less sharp. I presume the same will be true and perhaps magnified by the size of my telly.

The TV itself is not able to display a picture higher than 1280 * 1024 from a PC is what I believe. This doesn't as I said include a media player which is like a separate container independent of the native resolution.

Does that make sense or have I got it all wrong?

SkylinePhil

Standard Member
The desktop on my PC is set to 1920 x 1080 P which is the native res of the panel - the desktop is perfect, just like a monitor. Driven at any other resolution, it is less than perfect.

Just set everything to 1080P - it will be spot on

Make sure you set the TV to full pixel

Home - Setup - Screen Settings - Display Area

rank_amateur

Standard Member
Hi, What SkylinePhil is saying is that your manual is quoting the max resoloution when using the VGA socket - that's how it assumes you will connect your pc.
You won't though and will be much better off using one of the HDMI sockets and choosing any higher res that will then be available. The desktop etc will then look great.

Cheers.

ninja 12

Hi

Looking at the manual, I notice that the maximum screen resolution is 1280 * 1024. What I was wondering is how will the Windows 7 Desktop, the internet (YouTube, iplayer) or a game look at this resolution. I'm not particularly interested in playing games on it but wondered how this would look on such a big screen at this resolution. Any real life experiences of this?
I suspect that it won't be that great?? Any views.

Cheers

Yes it is a 1080p telly but if you connect a PC to it, the manual says that the maximum resolution is 1280 * 1024.
I imagine it is the same for your telly.

The TV itself is not able to display a picture higher than 1280 * 1024 from a PC is what I believe. This doesn't as I said include a media player which is like a separate container independent of the native resolution.

Does that make sense or have I got it all wrong?

The 1280 * 1024 resoluton refers to the vga input . Do not use this - use a HDMI connection. You will get the full 1920*1080 resolution from hdmi .

theodotcom

I've got the 40w3000 and that supports 1920x1080 over hdmi, so there is no reason why yours shouldnt especially as its a newer model :)
Hope that helps

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I have a 40W4000 - and it works fine at 1920x1080 with 23/24, 59/60 and 50Hz refresh rates via HDMI.

Few tips :

Make sure you reduce the sharpness to 0 on the PC input (my advice would be to do that on every input)

Make sure you select Full Pixel in the Screen Settings bit of Settings->Set-up from the home screen (you'll need to be watching a 1080i or 1080p signal to do this I think)

I also switch all the noise reduction, contrast enhancement etc. stuff off as well, and wind the backlight down from it's default. (And of course switch to Standard picture mode - Vivid is the work of the devil)

Depending on your video card in your PC you may also have to reduce overscan compensation to 0% once you've got Full Pixel mode selected (otherwise your PC and your display are both scaling the source rather than leaving it alone)

EnwezorN

Thanks Stephen for that advice. I've already made most of those adjustments to make the picture more watchable but will make the additional ones when my HTPC gets built!
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom