Connecting HP PC via VGA cable to Sony BRAVIA LCD TV - Unsupported signal. Adjust....

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by rjsdavis, Jan 7, 2012.

1. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading electronics forums from all over the world for the last three hours, and have yet to find anyone that has actually solved this issue! And there are plenty of posts about this Sony TV error message!!!!

I've got the classic problem connecting my HP PC to my Sony KDL-40W4000 LCD TV. The PC recognises that it is connected to a "Sony TV" in the Intel (on board) graphics adaptor properties, and defaults to 1920 x 1080 screen resolution. The only problem with this, is that the desktop screen is displayed "off centre" diagnoally off to the bottom left hand corner - so that the Windows button and toolbar are off the screen. Normally, if I had connected my PC to a standard monitor and this had happened, one would simply hit the "auto" button on the front of the monitor and this would resolve the issue centring up the screen for me (which is what I need to do) - however, in "PC" mode, there is no such functionality on my Sony Bravia screen that I can find!!!

However, if I manually over-ride and reduce the resolution to 1600 x 900 (two settings below the maximum of 1920 x 1080) - it perfectly fills the screen, looks just lovely, with the sole exception of having the damn Sony TV message which pops up PERMANENTLY saying:

Unsupported signal
    Adjust Your PC Output

!! but it's there.... perfectly displayed - I can see it, I can use my PC on my TV just perfectly - therefore the TV does seem to be lying to me, as it does support it, as I can see it!!!!

The ideal option for me would be to REMOVE the Sony TV message that is displayed by the TV. Is this possible? I read in another forum that someone wrote that you can press the "menu button twice to remove it" - however, I don't have a menu button on my Sony remote - It's either the HOME button or the OPTIONS button that get into most things, but this doesn't remove it all.

There is:

1 - no problem with my VGA cable
    2 - The PC is an HP DC5700 SFF - which is a total bugger to get graphics cards for. I don't wish to upgrade the graphics card unless this really is the only resort - however I will struggle to get a low profile graphics card with a VGA output (they're either DVI-D or S-video that I can see) - I don't have a PCI-E slot on the motherboard either!
    3 - I occasionally have this issue when connecting my Sony VAIO laptop to the same TV through the same VGA cable. This can be resolved within Windows 7 by simply selecting the TV as the only display device (and not to display anything on the screen of the laptop at all) - and this then centres the screen up nicely and the error message disappears. I clearly cannot do this with my desktop PC though!!
    4 - I've hit every button on my Sony TV remote to try and clear the message - I can't find anything....
    5 - I cannot adjust the refresh rate of the output signal - 60hz is the only option. I also cannot adjust the properties of where the signal is being sent to - the computer has recognised it as a Sony TV (which frankly I was quite impressed with), and I cannot change this.

Therefore, am at the end of my self-diagnosis talents.... any help / guidance on how to solve this would be very much appreciated!!! (a would also be the only solution to this that I can find on the net!)

:lease::lease::lease::lease:

2. Curly99

Curly99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I don't know what options you have in the TV menu, but I think you need to set 1:1 pixel mapping or a similar option in the TV's menu when you send a 1920x1080 resolution to the TV.

Curly

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,476
    You have an "Overscan" or Horizontal/vertical scaling issue , read the link below , find the captured screen in the properties of your video card driver.

Set the card to output the native resolution of your TV , which I assume is 1080p , then use the sliders in the screen shown to correct the picture to your screen.

Dealing With Overscan and Windows Media Center « Richard S

If you dont have that Intel Graphics screen as shown in the link , then you need to update to the latest Intel Drivers.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Yeh, Curly and Andy above are right. The best solution to feed an HD signal from a PC to a Sony TV is via HDMI with the screen setting for the HDMI input in the TV set to "Full pixel" This will solve all the issues. ( assuming you have an HDMI output socket on the PC. )
    VGA is not the best way.. You won't get 1080, for a start, I believe.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Curly and Jh - but i don't think you've fully read my question.

I don't want HD to be displayed on the screen, therefore cannot see the need to mess around getting an HDMI output card.

I'm more than happy with the 1600x900 screen (which looks perfect on my TV screen). THE ISSUE, is with the Sony TV iteself and the permanent message that is displayed on the bottom right hand corner:

Unsupported signal
    Adjust your TV output.

The signal clearly is supported, as it is displayed (i'm using it right now to type this post) - I just want to clear the message.

The ONLY way to clear it, is to adjust the output resolution of the PC onboard graphics card to 1920x1080 (HD) which I don't want - and then disappears off the bottom left hand corner of the screen in any case, and part of the screen can't be viewed.

Does anyone know how to clear the TV message?

6. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy - this looks a bit more promising. I'll see if I can get the drvier software that you are using and see what happens....

7. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - but there isn't (as far as I can find) a 1:1 pixel mapping option in the TV menu....

8. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Andy

I don't think this has made any difference. I've just been through the download centre of the Intel website, and selected the correct graphics chip etc, and it seems to have downloaded and installed a piece of software which is generic across many chips - but also appears to be the exact same software that I had installed before by Windows 7 - I can't find the software that you are showing on the link above!

I've just pasted all the screens into a word doc, but it's larger than the limi for the forum!

Can you advise where the link is to download the software that is shown on the link in your post please?

9. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,476
    The software is part of the latest intel drivers , what version number is the driver that you downloaded ?

10. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy

I have the Intel Q965 embedded graphics chip on my DC5700 PC. When i went through the software selction process on the Intel website, choosing the correct chipset and then Windows 7 32 bit version etc etc, it came up with two download options:

INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel 6,5,4,3 and 900 Series Chipsets - v. 9.2.0.1030 - 21/4/11

or

INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel 6,5,4,3 and 900 Series Chipsets - v.9.2.0.1025 - 14/4/11

I went for the most recent, installed it, and that was that! It didn't actually do anything that I could see, install anything different to what I already had etc etc, therefore am confident that it was what I had installed on my PC already - it certainly doesn't look anything like the Intel control software on your website page....

Link was:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/con...Product=Intel®+Q965+Express+Chipset+(embedded)

Need any other info?

11. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,476
    That link is for chipset drivers , you need to update your graphics drivers , this is different.

Its the graphics drivers that have the screen adjustment utility that's shown in the link.

12. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    It's called "Full pixel" in Sony TVs (as per my post 4 above. )
    Settings - Display - Screen - Display area - Full pixel. (For 1080 HDMI inputs)
    That's what it is on my Sony - your's should be similar.
    ( I know you don't want 1080 displayed, but it is the best solution, imo.)

13. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this - I'll have a good look at this when I get back home. Am pretty certain that it's not there, but fingers crossed....

14. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

15. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,476
    Same site, but use the dropdown box on the top left to choose graphics drivers instead of chipset drivers.

16. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for being thick, but then what?

After you select GRAPHICS in the first option screen, you're then faced with a choice of either:

Desktop Graphics Controllers
    Intel Embedded Graphics Drivers
    Laptop Graphics Controllers
    Netbook & Tablet Graphics
    Processor Graphics

I would have assumed it was one of the first two - but if I select either, none of them have my Q965 embedded chipset listed, so not sure what to select. Under Desktop Graphics Controllers - there are about 15 different options, and under Intel Embedded Graphics Drivers - just the one. Which one do I select?

17. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW - this is the reply that just dropped in my inbox from Sony Tech Support (sic):

Dear Sir

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

I understand your Sony television KDL-40W4000 when connected to a PC states 'unsupported signal'.

I can confirm that the maximum support signal for this television is 1360 x 768 or 1280 x 1024 any other mode would need to be a television resolution, ie 1080P 1080i or 720P so in this instance I would recommend altering the resolution.

I hope this information is of some assistance. Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Aron Woodgate
    Customer Information Centre
    SONY UNITED KINGDOM

18. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
  19. rjsdavis

rjsdavis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .... but this is what is confusing me. Just above the table on page 35, it claims:

"PC input signal reference chart for HDMI IN 1, 2, 3"

It appears to be informing that resolutions, PC signals can be displayed in, when input via one of the HDMI inputs - not the D-sub / VGA input which is completely different!

.... or at least, that's the way I'm reading it.

I'm going to give this a good go when I get home on Saturday. Fingers crossed taking the resolution down to one of those two resolutions fixes the problem.

20. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    The top table is for D-Sub/VGA, the bottom table is for HDMI.