1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting home cinema & SKY to TH37PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by IR8Matt, May 31, 2005.

1. IR8Matt

IR8Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been scanning the forum today regarding the Panasonic TH37PW7. I have noted to stay away from the tuner box so I'm looking at the screen only. I'm planning a change from my rather large Loewe Aconda to the plasma screen sometime this week.

I just want to make sure i'm not buying too many tuner boards for what I'm connecting.

I'm currently using a SKY+ box and a DVD player connected using a fully wired scart for the SKY box and an SVHS to Scart connection from my AMP to TV for the DVD.

Looking at the advice, most say to use the RGB to VGA converter for the sky box. As I'm going to need to use my amp to listen to SKY now could I just get away with connecting the SKY box to the AMP via SVHS and use a RGB - VGA converter for the SVHS to Scart lead running from the AMP to the Plasma to get the best quality?

This is will mean I need no tuner boards as I will only be using the VGA connection or am I missing something? Failing that I would need to get a SVHS board from AV Sales to connect the DVD Via the AMP?

Thanks

Matt

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Matt,

I suspect that the reason nobody else has bothered to reply so far is that you have got folk confused (I've read you post three times and think I have worked out what you are asking) : ))

The key question, I think, is what signals can be output from your DVD player? Can it output RGB via scart, has it got component (red, green and blue phono sockets) or can it only do S-video (not SVHS which is a type of video tape).

Just in case it becomes relevant - which amp have you got?

3. IR8Matt

IR8Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Piers,

I see what u mean about my first post, bad day at work!

Right I will endevour to get it right this time...

I currently have my SKY+ box connected to my TV via a fully wired scart.
    My Pioneer DVD (DV-667A) is connected to my Yamaha DSP-A2 with a S-Video cable and the Amp is then connected to the TV via a S-video-Scart cable.

I was hoping that with the new plasma I could keep the DVD connected as it is and connect the SKY+ to the amp with another s-video cable and keep the s-video-scart cable as the only connection to the plasma.

I'm guessing I can only use a single connection to the new plasma if my amp will output RGB via the s-video to scart lead and I then use an RGB-VGA converter.

Hope this all makes sense now.

Cheers

Matt

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hi matt hope you dont mind if i jump in, no problem with your idea but will limit choice suggest you try to use component if DVD has it and AMP switches it and use a JS RGB>YUV feed the Sky inot AMP then you have component foir both, if wall mounting and burying cable i suggest you bury an HDMI and some 5 core coax in the wall as well as Component cable (5 core can be used for RGBHV etc) as well as a couple of lengths of Cat5 just incase!

5. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    horny mate i realise this is a little off matts subject, but as the pw7 is being discussed :) , if some clever joe was to invent an HDMI >VGA converter would the pw7 be able to display skys future HD broadcasts :confused: ??????? cheers

6. IR8Matt

IR8Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Hornydragon...

Right, I have had a look at what connections are available to me..

DVD can output s-video, component and scart. The amp however can only accept composite and s-video. I take this now limits what I can achieve??

Would I be right in saying that I would be better connecting the DVD directly to the plasma with a component board and the sky with the RGB-VGA converter and skip the AMP switching the feed and only use it for sound?

Thanks for the advice about the cables as well, seems like rather a good idea given it is likely to be wall mounted now. The only way the missus will let me get one is if she can put it flat against the wall.

As for Zest's comment about HDMI, I noticed that AVsales do a HDMI board but i didn't think the TH37PW7 supported HDMI???

Thanks again

Matt

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yes and some clever Joe has invented an HDCP stripper (not legal tho!) and a scaler can convert DVi-D with no HDCP to VGA making the Panny able to see the HD signal, but still wont have HD res convert 50 HZ HD to 60Hz will also allow the panny to see the HD signal via DVi-D or HDMI

There is the fabled HDMI board for the 7 series and DVi board for 6 & 7 series that have HDCP neither accepts 720p or 1080i at 50Hz tho!!!! There is a lot of wrong info out there............. Whether to use amp for video switching is a tough one, some love it some hate it you need to decide its a pretty Hi End amp so video switching (if it has it) should be pretty good, simplifies operation too (tho a £70 remote, Harmony H655, makes it all very very Wife friendly 1 button to turn it all on, select inputs on PDP and AMP etc, and one too turn it all off)

8. smack247

smack247
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got the same screen, as this and i use a smartscart to hook everything up, it switches between different scart automatically, with optical and standard phono leads into the amp, works a treat.

I am wondering about the HDMI comment placed. Does this mean that if i managed to get a HDMI board for the screen it still couldnt display Sky HD, or use the upscale feature on my DVD player without spending out even more money. I know the screen isnt a High Def, but I was hoping it would improve on the normal tv picture regardless.