Connecting HDMI out to VGA on my monitor - possible?

holcar

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently got a virgin media HD box and was hoping to be able to connect it to my Samsung SyncMaster 226BW with an HDMI to VGA/Audio cable.

The cable I bought was this.

However I can't get it to work at all. Is it even possible to convert HDMI into VGA and seperate audio in a cable such as that? There's absolutely no picture or sound when I plug the VGA end into my monitor and the RCA into my sound system. I have tried it with the HDMI out on my virgin HD box, Xbox 360 as well as my laptop. All give no sound and no picture.

The box also has an optical audio out as well as a SCART out. My monitor can take DVI and I have a feeling HDMI to DVI would work, but then I can't get any audio. Unless I buy a digital to analogue audio converter at £40.

Basically I'm wondering what option if any is the best to try hook up my HDTV box to my VGA/DVI monitor and still be able to get sound.

Thanks

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You are lucky you've not damaged anything using that cable.

HDMI is an encrypted Digital signal.

VGA is an Analogue signal.

A cable alone cannot convert Digital to Analogue and that's before you start to deal with the Encryption!!!

It is possible to connect your Source to your Display - though your looking at around 140.00 GBP to make it work.

Joe

Assuming you have a DVI-D input on your Display then you need to confirm:

01. The DVI Input is HDCP compliant?

02. The DVI Input works with 720p or 1080i at 50Hz.

Joe

The DVI input does support HDCP, although I'm not certain about resolution or refresh rate.

I can't seem to find definite information anywhere on such things. The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW.

Last edited:
I recently got a virgin media HD box and was hoping to be able to connect it to my Samsung SyncMaster 226BW with an HDMI to VGA/Audio cable.

The cable I bought was this.

Thanks

WOW i am amazed anyone bothered to make such a cable (it would never work) I wonder if it's actually connected and how!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hello Horny

There are one or two Media Streamers that use an HDMI 'socket' in a very non standard way and simply use it as a small form factor AV port - though why so many UK websites promote and stock these cables is beyond me the return rate must be around 99%.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom