Connecting HD plasma to the computer?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by PetriM, Feb 3, 2005.

1. PetriM

PetriM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a HD plasma and you have connected it to the computer, please comment.

Tha lower resolution plasmas seem to have WVGA resolution and pixel ratio is 16:9 (854*484). Physical size of the screen is also 16:9. Because of this all the pixels are squares.

In the HD plasma, there is often resolution 1024 * 768. This is 4:3. But the screen´s physical size is still 16:9. This makes screen to show pixels as rectancles instead of squares.

This seems to make shortcut icons to wider and flatten. Is there a way to solve this problem and make icons and all other stuff coming from the computer to look same as it would look on the monitor?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yes, give it 1280/720. It makes it slightly less sharp, but makes the aspect ratio work out. That's a 16/9 resolution going to a 16/9 panel then, so all's well. Some will take 1366/768, which might look better, worth trying if supported by your graphics card.

3. PetriM

PetriM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh... It was much easier than I though. Thanks for the tip! :clap:

4. dh303spam

dh303spam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also, some dvd software like zoomplayer will compensate for rectangular pixels. ie you can output 1024*768 in a 16:9 aspect ratio, which will give you 1:1 pixel mapping, and will look way better. only works for dvds or other video files though (divx etc).
    useful if your thinking of an hcpc!

5. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Why not simply adjust the screen setting on the Plasma to 4:3.
    ....You will simply get vertical black bars at the sides of the picture leaving a 4:3 image in the middle.

6. PetriM

PetriM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well… I don’t have a plasma yet and I probably have to order it from the web. Here in Finland we have low stocks at the moment and ordering from abroad is cheaper any way.

I just read an article from a computer magazine and it said that HD resolution is a problem when using plasma as a computer screen. Mainly because icons seem to be flat and points in the screen are rectangular instead of being squares. I just wanted to check, if this really is true, BEFORE ordering HD plasma, because I want to use it with my computer, too. It’s a bit difficult to buy a plasma when you cant be sure, if there will be some kind of trouble or not…

It’s a bit hard to understand how rectangular points on the screen can show information that is meant to be shown as square points (pixels). But if you say that icons don’t get twisted, I do believe you and I certainly will order HD plasma instead of lower resolution plasma.

Thanks!