connecting freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Haylz, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Haylz

Haylz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone help me - I'm struggling a bit!

I've just got a freeview box and am trying to connect it to my tv/dvd combi.

I've got aerial (bought one, not main house one as tv is in my bedroom) plugged into freeview box. scart plugged in freeview box (tv socket) and into only slot on tv/dvd combi. and then mains lead..

but all I'm getting when I switch on is a blue screen. tv works as normal tho.

if tv on, then switch freeview on, it turns itself onto the av channel and just blue screen, when at that point it should bring up a menu and start scanning.

I don't know what else to do?

2. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Try pressing the AV button on the TV's remote a few times, this may change the type of input it's expecting and give you a picture. Otherwise try connecting to the bedroom TV and see if there is any difference there.

3. Haylz

Haylz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. I've tried all av channels, and it's just the same - just a blue screen.

sorry i didn't understand the last part - it is connected to my bedroom tv. do you mean try it to main downstairs tv?

I just wondered if it might be because it's a combi tv/dvd that's complicating it. because it only has one scart socket and perhaps the freeview box is expecting two..? I don't know - I don't have a clue!

4. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Sorry I did mean the main telly! If still no luck then it is either the scart lead or Freeview box at fault and you should get them replaced as faulty goods.

5. Haylz

Haylz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah right, I'll try it downstairs then. I've got a spare scart lead so I'll try that one too. but it just seems like it's all connecting, but perhaps just missing something. nothing's ever straightfoward!

6. Haylz

Haylz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right -it was a duff scart lead!

so it's sort of working now. it starts up and I've scanned for channels. It's found them, but for most of them, I go to the channel and just get a blank green screen. I know it's working (unlike before) because the info bit at the bottom comes up - I just can't get the picture. Also there's no sound.

do you think this could be because it's a cheap crappy aerial I've got or another problem?
    I would have thought if it was the aerial, I get picture and sound, just poor quality...? but I don't know.

7. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Connect to the main aerial downstairs then access the menu on the freeview box and rescan to see if you get all the channels.

8. Haylz

Haylz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    never mind - it's working!! the scart lead had come loose - hence no sound. switched off and on again, and channels are there. I think it may be that it isn't great reception, so may see about getting a booster aerial.
    it's a bit rubbish that it;s only single tuner - can't record one thing and watch something else...but oh well.
    thanks for all your help adrian - it's appreciated

9. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Boosters don't work as reliably with Freeview as they did with analogue. Does your Freeview box have any signal strength and quality diagnostics? What do they read on BBC1, BBC4, ITV and C5 (they will likely differ) for a start?