Question Connecting Freeview box and Sky Q box.

RattyPatty

Novice Member
Reaction score
I want to connect a new TV to a Sky Q box but don't want to record to it.

I have happily been using Freeview since it came out.

Is possible to connect both to a new TV and record to my Freeview box whilst watching a program on SkyvQ.

(I know nothing about Sky Q but am moving in with my daughter and she wants me to use her Sky).

Hope this question is in the right place.

Does your daughter's place have a Freeview UHF aerial that works? Without that your Freeview recorder won't work (nor will the TV's inbuilt tuner).

But yes its perfectly possible to have a Freeview recorder on one input to the TV (e.g. AV1, EXT1) and a $ky Q box on another input (AV2, EXT2) and you use the TV remote to switch between the external inputs (and possibly there will be buttons on the recorder/Q remotes that can do similar).

Typically $ky Q has a main box (which is a $ky satellite recorder) connected to the main TV set by a hdmi cable and extra room subscriptions via '$ky mini' boxes that talk to and receive from the main box via wifi.

I know I will need an arial. They have a sky dish. Building work going on so need to tell electrician where to put arial sockets.

I thought I might be able to do it, especially with a new TV.

And I will be able to record on my Freeview box if I am watching on Sky Q?

This bits important because I don't want to fill their recordings with my choices. Or have to trawl through all their sport recordings!

What about the internet connection please. Do I need this. I have this now but never use the catch up apps because I only get less than one Mbps download. Thanks.

And I will be able to record on my Freeview box if I am watching on Sky Q?

Yes.

What about the internet connection please. Do I need this. I have this now but never use the catch up apps because I only get less than one Mbps download. Thanks.

Their Sky Q box should already be connected to the internet and you will be able to use the catch-up apps via Sky Q or the TV (if it has the apps), provided their connection is fast enough.

I know I will need an arial. They have a sky dish. Building work going on so need to tell electrician where to put arial sockets.
Arial is a typeface. Aerial is what you need. But that aside an electrician is NOT the tradesman you require to install aerial sockets. You need a proper aerial installer who will have signal meters etc. Electricians know little about the subject. I have even come across them wiring aerial sockets like a ring main.

Electricians know little about the subject.
I think that's a generalisation that might upset a lot of electricians. Obviously some/many fall into your stereotype, but surely not all do?

Of course there are exceptions but I still doubt they have the required metering equipment.

What, to string a bit of WF100 and fit a faceplate? How hard can that be? :rotfl: Trouble might be the quality of the coax they use.
Now, fitting the aerial is a different story. :)

What, to string a bit of WF100 and fit a faceplate? How hard can that be? :rotfl: Trouble might be the quality of the coax they use.
Now, fitting the aerial is a different story. :)
They will probably fit the cheapest saddle and clamp faceplate rather than a fully screened one, wrong cheapest coax, and not consider bending radius.

Thank you for your replies and my question has been answered.

I will be getting a professional in to fit an Ariel but as this is a new build and the electrician is wiring it he can site the box and hide the Ariel cable. Better than doing it retrospectively I think.

Thank you for your replies and my question has been answered.

I will be getting a professional in to fit an Ariel but as this is a new build and the electrician is wiring it he can site the box and hide the Ariel cable. Better than doing it retrospectively I think.
It is not Ariel, that is washing powder, see my post 6.

Whether the electrician will use the correct double screened cable and fully screened outlet plate is debatable. Changing it all retrospectively is just as inconvenient.

Would you consider using your aerial installer to do your electrics?

Spelling police out in force today, but as we are nit picking, post #6 was mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom